Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 95 is 20 years

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 waalern

waalern

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

Windows 95 is 20 year old august 24. 
Since it is a 20-year celebration of Windows 95. A little challenge for you geeks out there. Get a Win95 computer up an running. It have to work on the internet, email client and an office package must be installed. Browser must work on facebook and youtube.

The tricky part of this little challenge is to use Win95 as your primary computer for a week. 

Up for it ?? :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

20 years huh? Isn't that like 80 in people years?

As to your challenge......I'm not that nostalgic!

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/start-windows-95-turns-20-still-rocks/#comment-form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdbzoucXrqo#t=19

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 ScaleCraft

ScaleCraft

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have all my diskettes or whatever they are in the sleeves.

I am working on doing just that anyway, for grins.

My interest is to see if it works any faster on a fast computer.

I remember those days...the hard drive hammering and hammering away..slow as molasses in January.

Why would you want to use FB?

If you can get an old FireFox on it, and older version are readily available, Default User Agent will tell websites what you are using....your choice.

I am telling them WIN7, 64 bit, FF 25.0 right now, even though I am XP-32 bit and an older FF.

I would bet doing that you'd get into FB.

E-mail is no issue, as I still use OE and pop3.

I have on my backup computer IE6, and good night there are sites that don't like that.

I just stay away from any IE anymore, even Spartan/Tartan/Edge.

OpenOffice should work, won't it? But I have the Office 95 discs, too.

When I got my backup Dell Precision 490 up and running two months ago, with a fresh XP-64 load, when I loaded updates from MS you could hear the alarm bells in Redmond going off without even stepping outside.

Dave

#4 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:23 PM

The first system I used was Win 98.  Not long after that my father installed Win XP on our home desktop.  Although never got a chance to use Win 95, still show my respect. :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:15 PM

I remember there was a spate of office break ins nearby soon after Windows 95 was released.  The target of the thefts?  Memory chips, which they were removing from office PC's.  I think most PC's of the time commonly had 4Mb and Windows 95 needed 8+ Mb to run optimally.  Back then, 4Mb cost more than 16Gb costs today..

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 ship_kicker

ship_kicker

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

I have a few win95 PCs that I could easily get on the modern internet.  I will do it once I get home!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users