Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help to run Linux Mint via bootable USB drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi

Downloaded YUMI-2.0.1.8 USB installer. 

In the process to download Linux Mint 17.2. Not quite sure how to proceed once Linux download is completed, nor if the USB installer I selected is the best choice. Some folks where unsuccessful with the above combination.

Please bear in mind that I'm and not well versed in communicating nor understanding  what goes on, but I'll try my best not to waste your time. I really wish to learn to use Linux.

I fully understand if there are no takers...

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 17 August 2015 - 11:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

Several people on here have experience booting from USB- Unfortunately ,I am not one of them as my computer will not allow me to boot from USB.I can assure you someone will answer your question soon!

I DO know that you will have to burn the.iso to the USBdrive and use a program like unetbootin to do it.Have you tried looking on YouTube to see if there is a tutorial on it?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+make+a+usb+drive+bootable+linux

Will you be making the USB from a Windows Machine?

Edited by paul88ks, 17 August 2015 - 11:58 PM.

#3 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

Several people on here have experience booting from USB- Unfortunately ,I am not one of them as my computer will not allow me to boot from USB.I can assure you someone will answer your question soon!

Thanks paul88ks

You see already learned something, how do I know if my computer will allow Linux to boot from USB?

Also, as long as I'm online, for anybody else listening out there:

Installed YUMI usb Installer uploaded Linux Mint on it. After opening YUMI mooltiboot, then going to the  

ISO files downloaded with 7-ZIP I'm lost, no Idea what to do next... :scratchhead:

#4 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:56 PM

Running W 7

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:04 AM

You see already learned something, how do I know if my computer will allow Linux to boot from USB?

You will have to boot into the BIOS when you first turn on your machine and start hitting the appropriate key- on some computers it is f12-or F2 or Delete.Once in there look around until you find the BOOT ORDER- if booting from a USB is allowed,you will see it there select it- ----This is after you have created the bootable USB--- click save changes and exit- if you mess up ,you can always go back into the BIOS and reset the boot order.

You are going to download the .iso file and burn it to the USB- hold on - I'll be right back!

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Edited by paul88ks, 18 August 2015 - 12:08 AM.

#6 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

Will it be easier for me instead of trying to boot Linux from a USB drive, to create a bootable Linux USB drive using Windows, as per the following webpage?

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/how-to-create-bootable-linux-mint-usb.html

#7 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

You will have to boot into the BIOS when you first turn on your machine and start hitting the appropriate key- on some computers it is f12-or F2 or Delete.Once in there look around until you find the BOOT ORDER- if booting from a USB is allowed,you will see it there select it- ----This is after you have created the bootable USB--- click save changes and exit- if you mess up ,you can always go back into the BIOS and reset the boot order.

You are going to download the .iso file and burn it to the USB- hold on - I'll be right back!

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Disregard Post #6

Just a different version of the same USB installer.

First thing first, turn the bootable USB option on on BIOS. I'll give it a go, hopefully I'll get there sooner or later...

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:20 AM

You want to navigate to the page that says "Boot Order" usually it is listed as 1.cd-rom 2. HHD.3. network 4.floppy -- most modern computers dont have a floppy drive anymore.All BIOS are different- you will just have to see if the USB option is there.If so -put it in the 1.slot so that the computer will look for the USB first! All this of course,is after you have created your bootable USB stick!

#9 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:38 AM

Not confident at all to fiddle with the BIOS.

I'll try different approaches using apps like LinuxLive USB Creator. Taking it slowly avoiding areas where I really do not belong.

Thanks mate.

#10 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:00 AM

I ended up burning Linux Mint 17.2  and booting from DVD. Getting acquainted and learning little by little.

Will I need to install any security software for Linux, antivirus etc?

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 18 August 2015 - 06:01 AM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

Not while using a LiveLinuxDVD.  Good to see you got something up and running!  I always like to see people get a DVD created FIRST!  Seems as though some have issues with getting the USB installation concept at first.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

Not while using a LiveLinuxDVD.  Good to see you got something up and running!  I always like to see people get a DVD created FIRST!  Seems as though some have issues with getting the USB installation concept at first.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I got to learn a lot to make the DVD boot experience smoother, and you are right about USB booting, couldn't get my head around at all.

Not that I have much of 'a head '  :lol:

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

IMO, the USB, using one of the popular installers - is a waste of time - unless you don't have a Optical Drive Burner.  Now, with some help and prep, you can do a Full Install to a USB.  This will be like having it on your Hard-Drive, and therefore be able to save files, software, updates etc., anything you would be able to do with it installed to your pc, albeit slower.  This will also allow you to get some experience with the LinuxMint Installer.  Then at some point if you like all this linux stuff you will be more prepared to install to your pc on HDD.

Doing this is simple/usually but you will need help so not to Delete your current OS.

Unsure about what would make the DVD Boot experience smoother, although it is slow to boot, which is normal.  After your Optical Drive is set to boot from you can just leave it that way.  If the LiveLinuxDVD is in, it will boot from it, if not then it won't, it will just boot from your pc's OS.  Just need to be careful as to what else you put in there and boot from, may need to change it back for other stuff.  

When you boot up linux again, open the terminal and paste this Command:  inxi -Fxz  >Press Enter and post the outcome here.  Nice little feature of linux.  It will tell us some basic info of your computer but no personal info.  These guys will really need this info. to better help you out.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:21 PM

When you boot up linux again, open the terminal and paste this Command:  inxi -Fxz  >Press Enter and post the outcome here.  Nice little feature of linux.  It will tell us some basic info of your computer but no personal info.  These guys will really need this info. to better help you out.

I'll give it a go and if (big IF) successful I'll post the outcome or make a copy to post later on, if asked to do so.

You see I really have to watch my steps, I cannot reiterate enough how unprepared I'm I when it come to computers.

I would not be surprise if it comes to this :smash: , hence I shall take it very very slowly indeed...

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Also - I am using an external drive(an old laptop drive) and have Linux Mint Cinnamon on it. It works basically the same as a USB Stick- in other words - it boots from the external drive the same as a USB would. Either way- Running Linux from a LIVE DVD is ok- but it will be much slower than if you have it installed on your hard drive-USB-or external drive-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users