Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cyber Bullying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-17/father-crusades-to-stop-cyber-bullies-after-daughters-suicide/6703668

"It's so easy to sit behind a computer screen and type something nasty and push the send button and think 'ha, ha, I've done something,'

but the consequences on the other end could be like us — it destroys a family," he said

Parents.

• Emphasise that there is help, everything can be resolved
  • Telling your child to stop using social media won't work
  • Actively listen and empower children to talk — speak openly & honestly, empathise and gather information and facts
  • Learn about what bullying is, explain expected behaviour and suggest solutions
  • Develop social media skills, join their network (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram)
  • Set consequences for poor online behaviour
  • Ensure inappropriate images are removed by alerting social media networks and internet service providers
  • Consider parental controls and filtering software
  • Ensure your child has privacy controls set
  • Keep pins and passwords secret

Edited by Condobloke, 17 August 2015 - 10:55 PM.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

Put an ad-blocker on their computer also, it will stop some types of virus, and it will also stop many adverts of kinds which are better not seen.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

Why won't stopping using social media work? Cyber bullying is verbal, isn't it. If it isn't seen it can't work, can it?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

Stopping the use of social media would go a long way to solving that problem. Unfortunately you would then give your self the same problem that King Canute had - the tide won't go back. I know Facebook, and I presume the other social media, have a theoretical lower age limit of, I believe 13, but this seems easy to get around and virtually every teenager I know uses FB or other such social media.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:23 AM

I've often wondered what verbal bullying would affect me. I couldn't care less what anyone said about me. If something did affect me, I would just block the sender.

There must be something wrong with todays youth that they are so weak that they get so upset about words.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Two sides and one protection to this question, for the young:

1) getting them acquainted with the existence of cyber bullying, just as they have to learn about it in real life school situations;

2) giving them the tools to fight back or ignore it, and

3) showing them how to protect their privacy.

Lots of people get offended because they have been shielded.  This is not good, imo, because then they stay offended.  Worse, they come to equate any kind of criticism with offense. I've had really good luck with young Youtubers if I encourage them to be frank and to call me names if they want SO LONG AS they couple the name calling with substance. That detoxifies the name calling need, and lowers the offense.  They become stronger and less prone to even resort to name calling, and take less offense when they receive it.  The arguing continues, alright, kinda like a new found freedom. But there's less real heat in it, and more thinking.

Funny thing about bullies: when you bully back, they quickly dissolve.  Trick is to have something critical which is substantive and obviously valid to say, not merely to bully back.

Edited by brainout, 21 August 2015 - 09:07 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users