"It's so easy to sit behind a computer screen and type something nasty and push the send button and think 'ha, ha, I've done something,'
but the consequences on the other end could be like us — it destroys a family," he said
- Emphasise that there is help, everything can be resolved
- Telling your child to stop using social media won't work
- Actively listen and empower children to talk — speak openly & honestly, empathise and gather information and facts
- Learn about what bullying is, explain expected behaviour and suggest solutions
- Develop social media skills, join their network (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram)
- Set consequences for poor online behaviour
- Ensure inappropriate images are removed by alerting social media networks and internet service providers
- Consider parental controls and filtering software
- Ensure your child has privacy controls set
- Keep pins and passwords secret
Edited by Condobloke, 17 August 2015 - 10:55 PM.