Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my keyboard got spilled by cofffee. help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eucliwood

Eucliwood

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

hello all, so the problem is while i was playing my hand accidentaly sliped and hit a cup of coffe (instant coffee the kind that you get from a coffee machine) which poured all over my usb keyboard. then i unpluged it and tried to shake out the liquid from it afap and dry it a couple of minnutes using hair dryer (i did not dismanteled it yet). when i sticked the usb plug and tried to type, it felt as if they are sticky inside and did not type properly, thought that the sugar in the coffee mixture may be the case, so i took the keyboard apart and cleaned it using wet napkins (the kind that are used to clean sensitive screennings) including the deepest parts of it. after 20min i plugged it in. it worked better butt still - some buttons didnt typed correctly. (when i pressed "e" i got this typed "/8", when pressed 2, nothing happened, about 15% of buttons had that kind of disfunction) im out of ideas what can i do, im uploading some photographs of how my keyboard looks like from inside (it looks pretty easy fixable) just to give you a little bit of sense with what kind of problem i am dealing with. please help out, waiting for some advices, thank You  :)

Attached File  DSC_0878.JPG   77.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0879.JPG   70.07KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_0877.JPG   82.58KB   0 downloads

This is a view of how the keyboard looks dismanteled and after some cleaning (the visible-through material (middle picture) is elastic with 2 layers, all the sensitive button conectiive paths are fixed on the top of bottom see-trough material layer (its approachable) , btw my camera does not take a shot at a closer distance

Edited by Eucliwood, 17 August 2015 - 07:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:49 AM

Hi Eucliwood, 

If the liquid did have sugar in it, it’s a good idea to flush with clean water first. The key mechanisms will be sticky too; you can lift the tops off the keys by carefully prizing them away with your fingers. Be careful, though; the scissor mechanism underneath is delicate. It’s worthwhile Googling the keyboard model to find out exactly how to remove its keys. All in all, you've done a good job coping with the issue, but if that doesn't work it's best to buy a new keyboard (since this is not a laptop, and if yours isn't too valuable) 
 Hope this was helpful, Citizen_WD

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Unfortunately buying a new keyboard will take less time and effort than trying to get this keyboard working.  No matter how much time you put on cleaning this board it may never work properly again.  I keep two keyboards as spares, just in case of such a thing happens to me...again.

#4 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

It's crazy....I don't think it will work again now. But you can give it one try by removing all screws and clean it with a cloth. Now resembel it carefully and check if it works.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Going to have a garage sale anytime soon?? You might get a dollar for it.  Cleaning is very difficult with those flexible membrane keyboards.  All those conductive dots have to contact a very clean point between two traces.  Frustration is sure to ensue.  After re-assembly, you'll find some still don't work and some others don't work anymore.  Keyboards are cheap, under ten bucks.

#6 Eucliwood

Eucliwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

Thank you all for the advices, Im very glad that I got dealt with this problem. My keayboard is working now allmost perfectly, took 3 hours to clean it but, in the end got only 3 buttons with dissfunction occured. (not to mention my "number si) button got broken due to my uneperienced acembilities). Thank you for your advices, dont think the problem may go any worse or the oposite. Thank You, threat is closed :)

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

LOL...with all best wishes, I still adore old fashioned PS2 keyboards; spills just put it in the dishwasher!!
Ta-da all clean!! If you are like me, and enjoy your caffeine, race out and get the dinasour for safety!!!

#8 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

I vote for the get  a new keyboard - realizing this is a non-issue now - I was just wondering though if it was a laptop in which case new keyboard not optional - maybe it says in the intro and I missed it.

On checking I see it is a USB Keyboard.

Is there a way to delete meaningless comments such as this one?   I know you can edit but can a comment be deleted by the person who made it?

Edited by JayJax, 20 August 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

@JayJax #8 - yes.

Within 24 hours of making a post you can delete the total contents. What you can't do is delete the actual post but you can leave an empty one in which case people will only think that either you made a mistake and hit the wrong button or you changed your mind.

@canonsupport #4  While I am in this frame of mind, if you had looked at the images in the original post you would see that the OP had already dismantled this keyboard.

@Eucliwood  -  for the price of another USB keyboard follow mjd's advice. I would recommend Logitech over MS ones. The print on the keys comes off MS ones too quickly.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:13 PM

@JayJax #8 - yes.

Within 24 hours of making a post you can delete the total contents. What you can't do is delete the actual post but you can leave an empty one in which case people will only think that either you made a mistake and hit the wrong button or you changed your mind.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users