Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jim oxley

jim oxley

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

SVC Tag 983RW61
I have a Dell 8400 with processor diags. failure. Looking for advice
Problem: constant running at 100% in windows enviroment, Unable to use computer for web functions, games and etc...
Failed Intel processor test - Temp
should I replace just the processor or both the board and the processor?
Would like to just replace the entire system, but I can't at this time.
Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stickyickyooo

stickyickyooo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

When is the last time you scanned for maleware or virues? Something has to be eating up the processor. Use Ctrl Alt Delte and bring up the task manager. Look uner processes tab and click the CPU block. Is there a program just chewing away?

#3 jim oxley

jim oxley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

Thank you for replying to this post.

That was my first thought. Using Slim Cleaner, illiminated old files and unwanted programs, uninstalled Norton security suite. Went into msconfig turned off all of the startup files. Ran superantispyware, removed unwanted detections and rebooted. Processor use was still at 100% no matter what I tried. 

Do you think I should blow the OS and reimage before replacing any parts?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

Failing a processor test is something to be concerned about.

Monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Normally desktop temps shouldn't exceed:
CPU - 60ºC
GPU - 80ºC
HDD and other components - 40ºC

If the temps are too high, that'll cause problems with the processor.

Clean out the case/fans/cooler and be sure that the processor and cooler are firmly seated together with good contact/heat transfer compound between the two.

Make sure fans are working also!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jim oxley

jim oxley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

usasma - Thank you for the post.

But I think I'm beyond that point because I pm the pc evey 6 months, So it's pretty clean inside. I've already cleaned the old compound and applied new processor heat compound onto the processor. The fans are working, checked.

Again, the question is.... Should I replace the processor and the board, or just the processor? Used processor $60.00.

If you had a client with this issue, would you put the time and effort in it or sugest that he purchase a new system?

Dell 

Processor - $530.00

Bd. - $280.00

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:29 AM

First off, I don't recommend used parts. There's no telling how they've been used in the past.

I'll gladly install new replacement parts if the client wants them.

Secondly, this isn't necessarily the problem with your system.  And, if it is a problem, it isn't necessarily the only problem.  Diagnostics are software analysis of hardware problems.  As the diagnostic involves the entire system, it's not unknown for diagnostics not to be 100% correct.

As for the problem/problems - for example, if you had a power surge, it could have damaged multiple parts - so fixing the CPU problem could reveal other problems.

As for what to purchase, it depends on what you can afford and what you want.

For example, a replacement processor (from this Google search) is about $29 (US) with $15 for shipping:  https://www.google.com/search?q=PENTIUM+4+PRESCOTT+DT%2C+650&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=PENTIUM+4+PRESCOTT+DT,+650&tbm=shop

But, the processor was originally released over 10 years ago.

Parts from Dell will be more expensive than parts that you research yourself

I didn't research the motherboard - too many variables there, and I'd just use another one that has the same CPU and memory slots.

Most mobo's are interchangeable - but you'd have to research to see if Dell's is a standard size (most are).

Does the computer suit your needs the way it is today?

Will it suit your needs for the next 3-5 years?

Can you afford a new system now?

Do you want to wait to purchase a new system?

Do you want a new system (versus repairing this one)?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hi Jim Oxley:

Considering you've taken care of the device and it's pretty old with having a failed Intel processor/ CPU temp issue, if a customer contacted us and explained this as there problem we would suggest purchasing a new machine.

A new machine with a simple bestbuy search ranges from $300 - $900 depending on the Intel Core.

Attempting to fix the machine and the possibility of it not being successful just leaves you with less funds to get a new one. I think it is best to not take that risk. Just as USASMA said, "As for the problem/problems - for example, if you had a power surge, it could have damaged multiple parts - so fixing the CPU problem could reveal other problems."

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users