Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible email spoofing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 headstone

headstone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

HI Bleeping Computer,
it appears someone may have spoofed my email address and is sending spam to users who were in my address book plus to addresses in others address books.

The email is showing coming from someone else but the reply email is my emai.

Here is a kickback email I received from an email that doesn't exist anymore.
Mod Edit: Removed email content reflecting email addresses, moved topic to appropriate forum - Hamluis.

Is there a way to determine where the source of this is as my internet provider says they are not able to do anything about it.

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2015 - 09:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 headstone

headstone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

can a moderater edit my first message and remove the email addresses from it?  I can't seem to edit my message.

Thanks

#3 Dualcomm

Dualcomm

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

You should probably reset your email. I have no experience with email spoofing but that might help you.

#4 headstone

headstone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

i've already done that.  it appears it may be someone else's computer that might be infected but i was looking to see if there was a way to determine the source of the spam

#5 danzenie

danzenie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

You can use mxtoolbox header analyzer tool.  Just dump the email header in the form and it will show the relay flows.  Unfortunately this doesn't help much because the emails are sent from different places around the world.  I'm also convinced that the situation is actually another person's account being hacked, and the spammers using a contact from that account for spamming.  I've already proven that there's no access to my account nor my laptop.  This is an unfortunate situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users