Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly began to freeze when it loads things of random size

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Snazzy Pierre

Snazzy Pierre

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:44 PM

To clarify the title,

My computer, one day after downloading several images off of Deviantart (they seem not to be the issue), randomly started to freeze as my computer began to load too much ("too much" is a seemingly random amount).

Status of the freeze:

Usually it's a total lock down, with no animations playing on the screen, no ability to move the mouse, no ability to bring up Task Manager, and the easiest solution is to just hold the power button for a few seconds and forcibly restart my computer. If it happens while audio is playing, then sometimes (I really don't know how often) a few centiseconds of the audio will repeatedly play in a very glitchy fashion.

Steps I've taken to find out what this is:

Ran full scans of EVERYTHING with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Avast!, and SUPERAntiSpyware, using the free version for all them. Nothing notable was found, only basic bad cookies, two PUPs (one of which is a false positive and I have not gotten rid of, I believe), and that's really about it. 

With that out of the way, we can move on to the possible problems. HOWEVER, BEFORE I LIST THEM, I would VERY much like it if anyone kind enough to help would /not/ assume this is the issue just after seeing it, as I want to do /everything/ I can that might potentially stop the issue until it is resolved.

My current theory is that my computer (a PC) is physically damaged internally. We have had our computer set up sideways laying on the large flat side for quite awhile, and that made it's fans work a lot harder. I later looked up what could be causing the freeze, and internal damage due to potential overheating and the hardware inside not being made for horizontal gravity could be it. However, now that we've lifted our computer back to it's normal, intended posture, the fans haven't had to work hardly at all, but somehow we still get the freezes, so it might be that internal damage has caused this to happen.

That being said, I talked with an online friend and he said that his computer wasn't even getting past the "Welcome!" screen, and then he adjusted some things in the hardware and it was totally fixed, so I have hope that someone here knows exactly what's going on.

I want to apologize if it takes time for me to get back to anyone that responds, my life is a bit erratic and that doesn't help with getting onto online forums. I also want to HUGELY thank anyone that is willing to help with this; I would never be able to do this on my own.

Edited by Snazzy Pierre, 17 August 2015 - 04:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

If it's still freezing, maybe it's a RAM problem?

Have you observed the RAM on your computer?

#3 Snazzy Pierre

Snazzy Pierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

Well, my issue is that I don't even know where to start in looking at RAM (EDIT: and also looking at anything else). I don't know settings, I don't know how to tinker with it, all I know is that what RAM stands for and it's general use on the computer. Also, I haven't changed any of my hardware at all, just to get that out of the way.

If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to hear you out, but I can't do this on my own; I really need help with this.

Edited by Snazzy Pierre, 18 August 2015 - 08:16 PM.

#4 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:01 PM

Well, my issue is that I don't even know where to start in looking at RAM (EDIT: and also looking at anything else). I don't know settings, I don't know how to tinker with it, all I know is that what RAM stands for and it's general use on the computer. Also, I haven't changed any of my hardware at all, just to get that out of the way.

If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to hear you out, but I can't do this on my own; I really need help with this.

That's understandable.

Before doing the RAM, do you have CCleaner installed? https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

#5 Snazzy Pierre

Snazzy Pierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:33 AM

That's understandable.

Before doing the RAM, do you have CCleaner installed? https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I do have it installed, yes.

Once more, I want to apologize for lack of expedience, but my life often doesn't allow for immediacy. 

Edited by Snazzy Pierre, 24 August 2015 - 01:33 AM.

#6 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Do you by any chance still have the downloaded images on your computer?

#7 Snazzy Pierre

Snazzy Pierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:38 AM

Do you by any chance still have the downloaded images on your computer?

I sure do. They're all suitable for work and all are, again, from DeviantArt. I can go into my download list and give a list of them if you wish, but honestly, I don't think they're the issue. I've run virus scans on all of my images and everything and gotten nothing notable.

#8 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hello, sir.

Indeed, as the others said, it could really be a hardware problem. But before we continue there: have you tried logging the operating system on Safe Mode?

Edited by TinoNgombo, 26 August 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#9 Snazzy Pierre

Snazzy Pierre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hello, sir.

Indeed, as the others said, it could really be a hardware problem. But before we continue there: have you tried logging the operating system on Safe Mode?

Do you think that would help? I need very specific directions on what to do if I'm to try this. Should we try going to websites that seem to give us the most flak with our computer and freeze it the most?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users