Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Toria123

Toria123

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

Im thinking of getting a MacBook Air and just wondered if I need any security on it e.g Anti virus, anti malware, firewall etc.

As on my current Windows laptop I have Avg,Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and Zonealem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

As long as you update your software, and do not visit shady websites, you should be fine.

To update your software, go to Apple icon, click software update, and let it update everything.

If you see Yosemite free upgrade, then you should upgrade as well.

Mac OS X comes with XProtect beginning from Snow Leopard, it is like a signature-based antivirus that updates daily. You will not know its there unless it finds a malicious application. 

Also, by default, you will not be allowed to open applications that are not codesigned.

I recommend that you do not disable it, and if you really have to use an application that is not codesigned (very old applications are not codesigned), then right-click and then click open, then it will still warn you that it is not codesigned, but it will also have an open button

If you changed this settings, then turn it back on by clicking Apple icon > System Preferences… > Security & Privacy > General tab

Under "Allow applications downloaded from:" choose the second option "Mac App Store and identified developers"

If you have Safari, then it will warn you about fraudulent websites. Do not visit that website if Safari identifies it as fraudulent. Chrome also checks for fraudulent websites.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Toria123

Toria123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Wow thank you so much for the fast reply & it was very helpful.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

No problem!

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

In addition to what has already be said, I will note that Mac OS X has a pretty good firewall already built into the OS.

So, generally, you don't need anything else.

If you are the type who wants to go the extra step, then there are anti-virus programs that you can use, including free ones. Personally, I use VirusBarrier on my Macs. Many Mac users will say that is a waste of money, but it gives me the "warm fuzzies" (even though I know it is likely not needed), so I consider it worth it.

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

I was going to warn about the double-dot trick, but I checked on the double-dot trick (which worked so well in windows), and I figured out something interesting:

If there is an application:

Nameofprogram.app

And you have file extensions hidden, you will see it as:

Nameofprogram

If, however, you have an application:

Nameofprogram.anyfakefileextension.app

Then it will show the full extension

That said, its not completely foolproof as this could confuse people:

Nameofprogram,anyfakeextension.app to Nameofprogram,anyfakeextension

But, if you download an application from the internet, it will ask you if you are sure you want to open an application you downloaded

Clever! The double-dot trick doesn't work!

Edited by CKing123, 19 August 2015 - 01:01 PM.

Github | Keybase

#7 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

If you choose in Finder Settings -> Advanced to show all extension the double-dot trick does not work because the System shows the double-dot too = NameOfProgramm..app for example.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

If you choose in Finder Settings -> Advanced to show all extension the double-dot trick does not work because the System shows the double-dot too = NameOfProgramm..app for example.

Yes (and that's how I set it up in Windows), but if you do choose to hide file extension, you will be safer than in Windows (I did send feedback in Windows 10 feedback app so that they might add it in Windows too) if you choose to hide file extension.

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users