Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ntoskernl.exe BSOD

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ward89_*

Guest_Ward89_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:12 AM

Hey guys, this has been an ongoing problems for ages, it is giving me bloody nightmares.

Ran memtest for 12 hours, no errors

Ran seatools, SSD no errors.

Reset the BIOS settings to default.

Ran driver verifier and it crashed in a loop, so I know the problem is driver related.....

I have manually updated the drivers, still no help.

Can someone please help me? I am desperate....

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports.

Have you been using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner)?  If so, please stop while we're troubleshooting.

No memory dumps listed in the KernelDumpList report either (means that there aren't any in the likely locations on the system)

The WER section of MSINFO32 says that the BSOD wrote a memory dump to C:\Windows\Minidump\081715-3375-01.dmp

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P1.80) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

One rather odd BSOD in the WER section of MSINFO32

It blames one of the newer Win10 drivers (win32kbase.sys):

17/08/2015 11:32 AM    Windows Error Reporting    Fault bucket AV_win32kbase!ghsemDCVisRgn, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/resredir.aspx?sid=10&Bucket=AV_win32kbase!ghsemDCVisRgn&State=1&ID=145ba69f-41ca-4a54-9a99-68d886270921
Cab Id: 145ba69f-41ca-4a54-9a99-68d886270921

Problem signature:
P1: a
P2: 3000000
P3: ff
P4: 0
P5: fffff800156e0762
P6: 10_0_10240
P7: 0_0
P8: 768_1
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Windows\Minidump\081715-3375-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Temp\WER-6781-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
C:\Windows\Temp\WER2395.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_a_9c4714dda6d7cec22c11ee61da80e5adf3e57076_00000000_cab_0a8870ab

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report ID: 081715-3375-01
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket:

Beyond this I have these 4 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, Win10 compatible updates from the manufacturer's website.
3.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
4.  If all of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Continue to run Driver Verifier and upload the memory dumps as they occur.  Do not use CCleaner, and don't let it clean anything up automatically (as it's loading into your system on Windows startup).

Just zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump.  If you have trouble zipping it, copy it to your Desktop and zip it up from there.

Edited by usasma, 18 August 2015 - 09:01 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_Ward89_*

Guest_Ward89_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, Ill upload a some new files. Must have been Ccleaner.

I have updated the BIOS and still got a blue screen, 

I will do those 4 suggestions in the meantime :)

Just in relation to suggestion no 2) - I have downloaded all the mobo drivers when i bought the PC.

What do you mean by windows 10 compatible updates? I thought it was already downloaded in windows when windows automatically updates.

Attached Files

Edited by Ward89, 18 August 2015 - 10:20 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

Windows update isn't a reliable method for updating drivers.  Windows Update (and Microsoft Update) is only (IMO) reliable to update Windows - not to update 3rd party devices/drivers.

Manufacturer's only submit drivers to there occasionally - so it's best to obtain Win10 drivers from the manufacturer's website.

FWIW - driver development has lagged with Win10.  I suspect that it has to do with the lack of an RTM version for the OEM's to develop off of.

The attached memory dump blames your wireless drivers (athrx.sys - which dates from 2009).
Please be sure to update your wireless drivers to the latest, Win10 compatible version. 

If the manufacturer doesn't have Win10 drivers, then try to install this one in compatibility mode for Win8.

Please uninstall MalwareBytes temporarily to see if that helps.

I'd suggest using Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall for protection while testing.

Feel free to reinstall MalwareBytes once the system has been stabilized.

Analysis:
The following is for informational purposes only.

[font=lucida console]**************************Tue Aug 18 09:37:25.198 2015 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\081815-3765-01.dmp]
Windows 8 Kernel Version 10240 MP (2 procs) Free x64
Built by: [B]1024[/B]0.16430.amd64fre.th1.150807-2049
System Uptime:[B]0 days 1:21:00.861[/B]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athrx.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athrx.sys
Probably caused by :[B]NETIO.SYS ( NETIO!NcmTlObjSignalEvent+17 )[/B]
BugCheck [B]D1, {44000010, 2, 0, fffff8003cf4802b}[/B]
BugCheck Info: [url=http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x000000D1]DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)[/url]
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000044000010, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: fffff8003cf4802b, address which referenced memory
BUGCHECK_STR:  AV
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  chrome.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: [B]AV_NETIO!NcmTlObjSignalEvent[/B]
CPUID:        "Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz"
MaxSpeed:     3000
CurrentSpeed: [B]2999[/B]
  BIOS Version                  P1.80
  BIOS Release Date             07/24/2014
  Manufacturer                  To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Baseboard Manufacturer        ASRock
  Product Name                  To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Baseboard Product             H81M-DGS
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
[/font]

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only.
Any drivers in red should be updated or removed from your system. And should have been discussed in the body of my post.
[font=lucida console]**************************Tue Aug 18 09:37:25.198 2015 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
athrx.sys                   Mon Oct  5 12:33:57 2009 (4ACA1FF5)
TeeDriverx64.sys            Mon Aug 19 13:23:31 2013 (52125493)
nvhda64v.sys                Thu Nov 28 08:38:09 2013 (52974741)
iaStorA.sys                 Fri May  2 19:06:56 2014 (53642510)
mwac.sys                    Tue Jun 17 22:07:00 2014 (53A0F444)
mbam.sys                    Wed Sep  3 13:50:25 2014 (540754E1)
rt640x64.sys                Wed Apr  1 10:34:31 2015 (551C01F7)
point64.sys                 Thu Apr  9 11:20:56 2015 (552698D8)
MBAMSwissArmy.sys           Mon Apr 13 15:29:19 2015 (552C190F)
RTKVHD64.sys                Tue Jun 16 06:55:05 2015 (55800089)
nvlddmkm.sys                Mon Jun 29 15:13:29 2015 (559198D9)
intelppm.sys                Thu Jul  9 23:12:59 2015 (559F383B)
[/font]
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=athrx.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=TeeDriverx64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvhda64v.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=iaStorA.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=mwac.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=mbam.sys
rt640x64.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=point64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=MBAMSwissArmy.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvlddmkm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Guest_Ward89_*

Guest_Ward89_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for your swift reply.

I am not all that computer savvy so I am a bit confused.

Downloading all hardware drivers manually (Mobo, graphics card etc) + windows update is the best way to do it?

Damm computers are a nightmare sometimes, so many options and things that can go wrong.

I will do everything you have stated, thanks again, you deserve to be knighted.

Edited by Ward89, 18 August 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#6 Guest_Ward89_*

Guest_Ward89_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:41 AM

I still don't get it, I will do a fresh install of windows so i can start from scratch and learn how to set the pc up correctly.

Can you please clarify if the below steps are correct when starting fresh?

1) Install windows

2) Go to Mobo website and download all drivers

3) Go to graphics card website and download latest driver

4) Go to wireless website and download latest driver

5) Run windows update until it can go no more

Am i missing something? Do you need to install other hardware drivers? I thought mouse/keyboard/ monitor drivers were automatically taken care of.

This whole process just seems so overly complicated and I just want to nail it so i can do it perfectly in the future.

EDIT: I have updated the wireless driver and it seems to be working so far, will let you know. Fingers crossed!  :)

Thanks again

Edited by Ward89, 19 August 2015 - 06:23 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:11 AM

Here's the link to my suggestions for a clean install of Windows:  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean

First off, please understand that there are different opinions on how to do this.

What I describe is what I've found to work best for me.

But understand that I am a BSOD analyst - so nearly all of my work is centered on that (and it's likely that yours isn't) - so we are different.

That being said, there are also certain "givens" that we use.

For example, in most cases a newer driver is better than an older driver. (notice that I said "in most cases").

We also presume that (in a system that has ALL Windows Updates) that the problem probably isn't with Windows (this isn't 100% sure - but nearly so IME).

Then, notice in my guide/canned speech, that there is almost no mention of 3rd party drivers.  That's because most problems (again IME) are caused by 3rd party drivers.

Step 6 mentions them because I believe a device without drivers is more problematic than a device with the latest drivers.

3rd party drivers from Microsoft (non-Windows drivers) are uploaded to Microsoft servers by the driver developer or the OEM (who also develop some drivers).  These aren't updated very often, so they're not as reliable as newer drivers from the manufacturer.  As time passes, this way of updating is becoming better, but IMO it's still not quite up to snuff.

The best place to get drivers from is from the people who developed that particular piece of hardware.  In the event that the hardware is installed in an OEM system, the OEM may make changes to the drivers - so (for that system) the best source is the OEM.  Comparing driver dates will help (not the release date of the package) will help determine what's the most recent.

A caution here on video drivers.  If using a laptop with 2 video cards (or a desktop with 2 different video cards) - it's best to use the drivers from the OEM manufacturer's website (they often change the drivers so that they will work with the switching software/hardware built into the system).  I have a Samsung laptop that uses AMD drivers that are signed by Intel (not by AMD as you would expect).  I screwed this up so bad that I can't use my AMD video card (no gaming for me!).

In the case of my guide/canned speech, you can add (just added this to the webpage also):

Step 11 - download and install all available updates from the system manufacturer (or motherboard manufacturer if it's a custom build)

Step 12 - download and install all available updates for any additional hardware that's installed (from the manufacturer's website).

Step 13 - download and install all available updates for any software that you have installed.

Now let's discuss how I do it at work:

- I install Windows clean from recovery media or a recovery partition.

- I check Device Manager and update any drivers needed there

- I update Windows fully

- I update the BIOS/UEFI

- I run the manufacturer's update application and apply those updates

- I install the antivirus/Internet Security application

- I do a few tweaks/settings changes to make the system run faster and better

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

Oops!  Forgot this:

Windows drivers are fine and (IMO) are preferred.

Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor drivers aren't used by many people - so the Windows one's serve you quite well.  But this is different from not having any driver for the device, so you still have to check Device Manager.

BUT, if you need/want special functions, you'll have to install specially created drivers.

I, for example, want the center click button on my trackball to make Windows go back one page (the key combo is Alt and the <- key) - so I had to install the Logitech drivers that do this.

#9 Guest_Ward89_*

Guest_Ward89_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

Now let's discuss how I do it at work:

- I install Windows clean from recovery media or a recovery partition.

- I check Device Manager and update any drivers needed there

- I update Windows fully

- I update the BIOS/UEFI

- I run the manufacturer's update application and apply those updates

- I install the antivirus/Internet Security application

- I do a few tweaks/settings changes to make the system run faster and better

Good, I am starting to understand now.

When you say you run the manufacturer's update application, do you mean essentially installing the hardware drivers manually? (ie - Mobo drivers/Graphics drivers straight from the website?) 

Also, is it only the graphics and mobo drivers that need updating after a fresh install?

Or would you visit the website and download drivers manually from every hardware piece in your pc? (ssd,RAM,CPU,Disk drive)

I think i am starting to cotton on :)

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Most OEM manufacturer's update applications will install the drivers for you.  HP has the Support Assistant, Toshiba has the Service Stations, Asus has it's Live Update, Dell has Dell Update, Sony has Vaio Care, etc.

I'm not aware of an update tool for AsRock - so that would have to be done manually.

There's 2 schools of thought on the graphics/mobo drivers.  One is that you only put what's needed on it, and it only needs to be updated if a problem occurs (that's what I do at work, and I do with my own system).  Then there's the school that thinks prevention is the best cure - so they will install all updates as soon as they see them.  I tend to think that updating everything is the best way to go - but I don't do in myself because everything works fine without the extra work.  Also, what happens if you update everything and the next day a patch comes out for one of the drivers?  How will you know?  Do you want to spend all of your time working on your system - or do you want to have some time left over to enjoy it?

#11 Guest_Ward89_*

Guest_Ward89_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

I only put on what was needed  - (Downloaded all mobo drivers/latest graphic card update/wireless driver)

It is working fine, it's good to know that you have the option of downloading all the hardware drivers or just the ones you need.

Computer hasn't blue screened so YAY! Thanks

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

Glad to hear it!  Thanks for letting us know!

#13 Guest_Ward89_*

Guest_Ward89_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Gah spoke to soon, It just blue screened on me again. :(

Still an improvement but I would like it to permanently stop blue screening on me.

I've attached the files again, thanks again.

Attached Files

Edited by Ward89, 21 August 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

Is there a particular reason for having CCleaner installed on a brand new installation of the OS?
Do not overuse CCleaner - while unlikely, there is still a possibility of it causing problems for you.

I am not a fan of programs like Classic Start.  I feel that the interfere with the functioning of Explorer.exe

As such I'd request that you uninstall it until we're done troubleshooting.

Normally I don't even mention this, but as this is a clean install of Windows, I think it's a good thing to get rid of it (at least temporarily).

Nothing is really blamed by the memory dumps.  I'd suggest running Driver Verifier according to these directions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Analysis:
The following is for informational purposes only.

[font=lucida console]**************************Fri Aug 21 08:31:54.313 2015 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\082115-3921-01.dmp]
Windows 8 Kernel Version 10240 MP (2 procs) Free x64
Built by: [B]1024[/B]0.16431.amd64fre.th1.150810-2333
System Uptime:[B]0 days 0:01:58.977[/B]
Probably caused by :[B]ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiPageFault+248 )[/B]
BugCheck [B]D1, {0, 9, 8, 0}[/B]
BugCheck Info: [url=http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x000000D1]DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)[/url]
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000009, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000008, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 0000000000000000, address which referenced memory
PROCESS_NAME:  chrome.exe
BUGCHECK_STR:  AV
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: [B]AV_CODE_AV_NULL_IP_nt!KiPageFault[/B]
CPUID:        "Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz"
MaxSpeed:     3000
CurrentSpeed: [B]2999[/B]
  BIOS Version                  P1.90
  BIOS Release Date             07/23/2015
  Manufacturer                  To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Baseboard Manufacturer        ASRock
  Product Name                  To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  Baseboard Product             H81M-DGS
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
[/font]

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only.
Any drivers in red should be updated or removed from your system. And should have been discussed in the body of my post.
[font=lucida console]**************************Fri Aug 21 08:31:54.313 2015 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Rt630x64.sys                Fri Jul 26 03:01:35 2013 (51F21ECF)
nvhda64v.sys                Thu Nov 28 08:38:09 2013 (52974741)
mwac.sys                    Tue Jun 17 22:07:00 2014 (53A0F444)
mbam.sys                    Wed Sep  3 13:50:25 2014 (540754E1)
athwbx.sys                  Fri Dec 12 00:50:50 2014 (548A823A)
point64.sys                 Thu Apr  9 11:20:56 2015 (552698D8)
MBAMSwissArmy.sys           Mon Apr 13 15:29:19 2015 (552C190F)
iaStorA.sys                 Wed Jun  3 05:38:57 2015 (556ECB31)
nvlddmkm.sys                Mon Jun 29 15:13:29 2015 (559198D9)
nvvad64v.sys                Wed Jul  1 22:12:51 2015 (55949E23)
TeeDriverW8x64.sys          Tue Jul  7 13:43:32 2015 (559C0FC4)
intelppm.sys                Thu Jul  9 23:12:59 2015 (559F383B)
RTKVHD64.sys                Wed Jul 15 06:16:44 2015 (55A6330C)
NvStreamKms.sys             Thu Jul 16 21:43:42 2015 (55A85DCE)
[/font]
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Rt630x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvhda64v.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=mwac.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=mbam.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=athwbx.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=point64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=MBAMSwissArmy.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=iaStorA.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvlddmkm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvvad64v.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=TeeDriverW8x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=RTKVHD64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=NvStreamKms.sys

#15 Guest_Ward89_*

Guest_Ward89_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:48 PM

I think i have fixed it, nevermind. One last outdated driver I missed. 

Now that I am finished, is there a way to delete this user account? 

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users