Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant do chk dsk for errors?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GBAIN

GBAIN

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

Hey this it what comes uup when trying to check my disc

checking disc Local disk ©

check disc options

automatically fix file system errors
scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
(Start):  

then new lil window :

windows can't check the disk while it's in use.

when asked to schedule dsk chk it wont let us..

any help appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

Hi GBAIN :)

I suggest you to run a CHKDSK /R while being in the Recovery Environment of Windows 7. You simply have to launch the command prompt from there and use the diskpart utility to find out which drive contains the Windows installation, and run a CHKDSK on it.

To boot in the Recovery PE, press on F8 right before the Windows boot and select Repair your computer. From there, use the last option which is the Command Prompt and you can use diskpart and CHKDSK from there.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

After opening the Command Prompt and typing in the chkdsk /r command you will receive the following message.

"CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Press the Y key, then restart your computer.  Chkdks /r will run when the computer is restarted.

What has prompted you to run chkdsk?

Edited by dc3, 17 August 2015 - 09:03 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 GBAIN

GBAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

After opening the Command Prompt and typing in the chkdsk /r command you will receive the following message.

"CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Press the Y key, then restart your computer.  Chkdks /r will run when the computer is restarted.

What has prompted you to run chkdsk?

Tried that but it wont go to the next window to run.....

Have screenshot of error  how do i add?

Thanks

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

Follow the instructions below to attach a screenshot to your next reply.
  • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
    85hPFGu.png
  • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
    LKVBzF7.png
  • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 GBAIN

GBAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Here is the error 

thanks

Attached Files

#7 GBAIN

GBAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:57 AM

Hey Aura...trying to get the laptop updated not an easy task ...

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:21 AM

The screenshot you posted isn't related to a Chkdsk at all, but to issues with your Windows Update. Which command are you entering in the command line? Also, are you running it as Admin?

unite_blue.png

#9 GBAIN

GBAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:34 AM

ok read on windows pge to check if disc is ok  (why couldn't get downloads  thats why run chkdsk  it ended up running and that was what was there.... the error....

sorry not great comp savvy 

#10 GBAIN

GBAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:38 AM

ok read on windows pge to check if disc is ok  (why couldn't get downloads  thats why run chkdsk  it ended up running and that was what was there.... the error....

sorry not great comp savvy 

ok trying to get the laptop updated...it is win  6.1   trying to get to next windows updates...but not doing it  ( Updates..not downloads....)

Thanks

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:46 AM

So you're trying to install your Windows Update on Windows 8.1, but it doesn't work, right?

unite_blue.png

#12 GBAIN

GBAIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

So you're trying to install your Windows Update on Windows 8.1, but it doesn't work, right?

yes....but fails

Edited by GBAIN, 18 August 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

Please download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Clicking on the link above will start the download automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users