Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mSATA as a primary drive on a Ultra Slim HP EliteDesk 800

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GusGF

GusGF

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

What I'm upgrading: HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Ultra Slim (Intel Core i5-4570S) 

Not sure if anyone on here can help me with this. I have posted on the HP hosted forums but have gotten no reply. On the motherboard there is a mSATA connector to which I'm hoping to connect an 250GB mSATA SSD as a primary drive. The computer already comes with a 500GB HDD.

The thing is it does say in one of the supporting PDFs for the computer....

When installing drives, follow these guidelines:

● The primary Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive must be connected to the dark blue primary SATA
connector on the system board labeled SATA0.
● Connect secondary hard drives and optical drives to one of the light blue SATA connectors on the
system board.

But it makes no mention of the mSATA connector and how that should be used. I'm wondering if the mSATA connectors are used for some kind of supporting cache for the primary HDD.

Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

I would imagine that you could put a msata ssd in that slot and use it as your primary drive.  That is what I did, how ever I have a msi laptop.  I could also be completely incorrect.  

pa9d6f-4.png

#3 GusGF

GusGF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:06 AM

Thats what I was thinking but the HP documentation is not very forthcoming.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

It's possible that HP does not support booting from mSATA. See this thread although it is not your model it may be helpful.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/set-msata-as-boot-drive-in-bios/td-p/2815185

Edit: You may get an answer contacting HP techsupport.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 August 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#5 GusGF

GusGF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

Yes this seems to be the way forward, thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281826-hp-envy-6-msata-ssd-only-boots-when-hdd-physically-removed.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users