Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bypassing Passwords

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 youthp

youthp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:39 PM

I'm a youth pastor who recently took over for someone who left for another church. Our youth ministry has a computer for powerpoint presentations and music for services. I have tried for three months to find out the password for the computer with no success. I know the person who runs the computer knows the password but he will not tell it to me. I think there may be something on the computer he does not want me to see. I have since taken the computer from the church and have it at my home. Is there a way to enter the system by bypassing the password? It is an emachine running windows xp home edition. Can anyone help me because no one local appears to be able to??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

While we appreciate the situation you are facing, we have no way of validating your statement or position.

Sorry, but it is the Bleeping Computer's board policy and rules that we'll not assist in such activities.

//Mod edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 gdhopcroft

gdhopcroft

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

I think there may be something on the computer he does not want me to see.

The BC board Policy is essential because, as Koan Yorel says, there is no way to verify the tale you tell.

However, as a private individual, I cannot see any good reason why I cannot suggest to you, youthp, that, if you really have major concerns about exactly what this other individual may have stored on the church computer, you take it to your local Police Department.

Perhaps they may be able to find the capabilities and resources needed to access the computer.

Or, perhaps, merely the threat of your doing this may persuade the individual to give up the password to you.

Of course, you should probably be careful of shadows following you, if you're walking down dark streets alone at night. :thumbsup:
Graeme -- Beacon Hill, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Board Admin:
Calendar of Updates Forums & Calendar

Remember: Security Software must be kept current to be of any use!!!

Quis custodiet ipsos Custodes???

Like software code, I just ain't perfect ... but we both sure oughta be!!!

We have NO plan ... so, nothing can POSSIBLY go wrong!!!
After things go from bad to worse, the cycle will immediately repeat itself!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users