Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Install Problem/s

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:18 PM

Greetings:  Bought a new hard drive (Western Digital WD10EZEX)) for Dell Inspiron 546., My unit originally came with a Vista Business O/S which I upgraded to Widows 7 Pro for no apparent reason except when I bought it the Windows 7 O/S was on the verge of hitting the market and I got it free because of the timeline. I have had it since 2009 and recently the hard drive ran into problems, so I bought a new one. My plan is to install the Vista Business to the new hard drive and then upgrade to the Windows 7 Pro. I have both discs to do this. I started with the Vista Business and it went OK until I tried to access the internet and I am stuck there with what appears to be a problem with the Realtek RTL 8101 Network adapter which is "experiencing driver or hardware related issues."  I accessed the unit in Device Manager and opted to upgrade the driver but it came back that I have the most updated driver for the device. Now I am stuck and wondering if there is a compatibility issue between the hard drive and the Raltek network adapter. I should add that my computer is hard wired to a D-Link wireless router which is used for our laptop. Thank You. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Celestial One

Celestial One

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

I suppose your reason to access the internet is for windows vista to confirm your product key, so then from there you can install windows 7. Try reinstalling the drivers for your LAN card here.

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:25 PM

Actually, I put my old hard drive in my computer so I could post my problem here. So, if I put the new hard drive back in and went to another computer to access bleeping computer, could I download the realtek to a stick and then  my computer with the new hard drive.

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:36 PM

Another concern.. You see if I put the new hard drive in m computer,I will not be able to download what you propose because I cannot access the internet to get to the download what  you propose. I could not download it with the old hard drive in because it has windows 7 installed on it and the realtek you want me to download is limited to Vista.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:30 PM

If you want Windows 7 on the computer and only Windows 7 you can do a clean install on a empty disk with Upgrade Media as shown here.

If you need the wireless drivers you can download those from another computer, copy them to a USB flash drive and then install from the flash drive.

Edit: you could also temporarily connect via Ethernet and download the drivers. 

Right click your Wireless Adapter in Device Manager, Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line. Just want to verify your Realtek chipset.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 August 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

Even if my computer is hard-wired to the wireless router, could there be any reason why the router might be preventing me from accessing the internet?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

I am not sure what the problem could be. Vista had some issues with obtaining DHCP addresses with certain routers and there is a KB fix for it. You can download the fixit to a Flash drive and run it on the Vista computer. You might want to restart the router after the fixit. Are there yellow exclamation marks next to both your Wireless and LAN controllers in Device Manager?

#8 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

There are yellow ex..markers on both Standard Graphics adapter and Realtek Network Adapter

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

Can you provide the Vendor and Device ID or the Realtek adapter per my post #5

#10 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

OK, here we go. Realtek: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBYSYS_02E21028&REV_02 

VGA Graphics : PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9610&SUBSYS_02E21028&REV_00 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

What is your make and model of computer?

The Realtek is a LAN chipset and not a wireless one. You can download it here. First on the list 

Vista and Server 2008 Auto Installation Program (SID:1726062) 106.13

The Graphics driver is for a Radeon HD3200  The 32bit driver is here.  The 64bit driver is here.

Can you also give the Vendor and Device ID for your wireless controller?

#12 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

computer:  Dell Inspiron 546,  I don't see anything that would be called wireless controller but if you mean my router, it's a D-Link DIR826L

If you are suggesting downloads of the LAN Realtek and the Radeon 3200 , I can't do that because I cannot access the internet on the computer in question. I am communicating with you on another computer

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Download the drivers I linked to using the computer that can access the internet and copy them to a flash drive. Then install the drivers on the Vista computer after copying them from the flash drive. For some reason I thought this was a laptop. There is no wireless adapter though one is listed on the Dell support page. Download the Ethernet driver I linked to and install it using a flash drive. Then you should have an internet connection.

#14 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:54 PM

I'm there, I did use a thumbstick  I got access to the internet. So, I think I can download the graphics from my computer now that I'm on line. I try that tomorrow, Meanwhile, thank you very much for your help. I think I will be OK now. I think you might have picked up the laptop thing since I mentioned that I use the wireless for the one laptop that my wife has. She has that to download books to her Kindle from Amazon. Neither of the desktops are rigged for wireless. Thanks again for your help. Bob

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

No problem, glad you got your internet and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users