Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hi all. I have recently picked up a new linksys wireless roughter. I got it connected to my modom. My desktop (running a netgear wireless card) will connect to the roughter but it wont recive any packets. Now i have configured the roughter. The computer up stairs is running off usb and i cant get it to run through the roughters ports...... any help on how to get the wireless to send pachets to my pc and work on the ethernet and not usb on the other pc. I have triend mny things like cycling the modom and roughter but all have faild. thx
Fb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:48 AM

do you get an IP address from either one of hte 2 computers?
can you ping each other?
do you have a network card in the computer running off usb?
do you have a "straight through" cable for your computer to the router?

if you need help answering any one of these questions, please post abck
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 freezerburn16

freezerburn16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

i cant get havent got and ip for both comps. i can ping the roughter from bot desktops. THe comp next to the modom used to be on usb but now runs e. Like i can go into my brouser and type the ip and get to my rougters bios.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:49 AM

so, do you mean that you can get into the routers configuration frm both computers?
go into i again, look for the status page, check for the routers external ip address, it may not be set up for ythe net yet. that would be why you can get into the router, but not into the internet.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 mlurp

mlurp

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

I just set up my cable broadband to a Linksys wireless G router and use the USB Wireless G network Adapter on the laptop and older desktop. Had to call tech support twice but it all functions now. They have a site www.Linksys.com/kb for questions. Also a easy set up site but you need to be online to use this one. www.Linksys.com/easy. But with your situation using 2 different company products trying to work together you might need to call tech support. I got them quickly, the number is in the paper work the Linksys came with.Good Luck.

Edited by mlurp, 17 July 2006 - 01:02 PM.

#6 freezerburn16

freezerburn16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:10 AM

yeah so i have tried everything i know how to do and then some anyother ideas?????? i called the lynksis costumer service but they know less about computers and what toi do then me...... this really blows my mind. to recap i can connect to the roughter via both comps one e and the other wireless.... i just cant get the ip from the modom...... mmmmmmmmmmmmmkay

#7 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:33 PM

You need to talk to your ISP. It sounds like the router is not configured correctly. Your ISP should be able to tell you what the router settings should be.

#8 jimpw

jimpw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

By your descritpion you have an ADSL modem that is feeding an Ethernet Router, is the cable a straight and not a crossover? secondly when you look at the status page on your router is it showing an IP address that is assigned to you from your ISP (Either static or Fixed).

Also in your router have a look and see if you have the internal part of the network is set to DHCP, otherwise your pc will not pick up an IP address unless you have allocated fixed internal addresses.

Make sure that all of the parts in this status page are filled in i.e. Default gateway, DNS server & Subnet.

Also check your computer to see if it has picked up an IP address, you will probably find that the range that your PC will start with should be 192.168.*.*

I hope this helps.

#9 freezerburn16

freezerburn16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

thanks i already did all that stuff...... i got it working now. thank you everybody for your help!
Fb-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users