Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal speakers not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xFlood

xFlood

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hello,

I got this proble with my laptop: speakers integrated to the computer do not work anymore.

I checked the Device Manager and all seems to be working properly: no yellow question marks or something like that. Nonetheless, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but nothing changed.

On the other hand, when I plug the headphones in, I can hear all sounds from them, so I'm worried about an hardware problem. Before going through the hardware repair, I'd liek to be sure that's the cause.

Could anywone please suggest further checks?

I also understood that the headphone jack has a switch that is closed when the headphones are plugged in, so that the audio output is sent to the headphones and not to the integrated speakers: in case this switch is lagged, is there a way to prevent the audio outpu rerouting to the headphones?

Last information: this problem appeared after the upgrade to Windows 10, but I'm pretty sure that the audio initially worked fine for at least a couple of days, so I would exclude a relation with the operative system update.

For information: the laptop is an ASUS N55SF.

Thanks for the support.

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2015 - 07:57 AM.
Moved from Audio/Video Apps to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xFlood

xFlood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Additional information: hardware failure of the speakers is excluded, in fact, I tested the speakers by running Puppy Linux and all worked fine.

I would be grateful of additional hints to solve this annoying issue.

#3 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

Yes, that problem occurs if windows doesn't installed properly or not compatible with your laptop configration. I think you should consult with one expert.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

90% of the time it is caused by the ear phone jack, they get dirty, lose tension or get damaged in one way or another.  Being as you have sound with the ear piece proves the main hardware is just fine.  

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 xFlood

xFlood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

Yes, I suspect the headphone jack is the cause, but before going to replacing the audio card, I'd like to be sure of that; that's why I'm trying to figure out the way to by-pass the headphone detection, but what I found so far in the net did not work for my laptop's configuration. There's a lot of tricks about modifying the ForceDisableJD registry key or other stuff like that but I'm not sure I did it correctly. Maybe, it also depends from windows 10 installation.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:00 PM

Why are you still considering the jack if you tested sound with Puppy and it works.  Then it isn't the jack.

#7 xFlood

xFlood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

Well, you're right, Puppy uses the same jack detection logic and it works there! If hardware problems can be fully excluded, I'm getting lost now. I already reinstalled the drivers, using those both Windows tool and files from Realtek, with no success.

Is there additional test that I can try?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

I still vote for the jack IMO it is mechanical not software.  The jack breaks the connection then the software does its thing.

Edited by OldPhil, 19 August 2015 - 04:37 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users