Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't upgrade back to windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

I upgraded to windows 10, but for some reason it was really slow and i couldn't update my graphics driver. So i went back to 7 and i updated the driver, and now the windows 10 check is claiming that my Nvidia driver isn't compatible. How can i fix this? seen as my drivers are up to date. Yet prior to upgrading to 10, it worked so it makes no sense to me.

Attached Files

• Attached File  22.jpg   85.45KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

Well according to NVIDIA Drivers webpage, there's no Windows 10 driver support for your graphic card.

VSlIIfa.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

The GeForce xxxx (4-numbers) graphics cards are pretty old and are from the Windows XP/Vista era.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:57 PM

That is baffling, mainly because i could upgrade to 10 with a previous version of my graphics driver. But now i can't. and it's the latest one. Probably won't release one knowing my luck.

Edited by Miguel_92, 16 August 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:59 PM

Personally, I doubt. The GeForce 6 Series is really old, it doesn't even have 8.1 support. Also, if you remove your graphic card and try to upgrade, do you pass the compatibility check?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:50 AM

I suspect that MS have recently marked the 6150 as incompatible (and the time you performed the original installation, they had not done so).

The compatibility check seems to be programmed to say everything is OK UNLESS it finds something (hardware or software) which it has positively identified as incompatible. This would be in line with Microsoft's "bully boy" tactics in (1) pushing Win 10 at every opportunity, (2) making it difficult to avoid the upgrade pressure, (3) getting the users to do the testing.

It would have been more appropriate, really, to have said something like "we have identified that your computer contains the following hardware/software (x) which is incompatible with Windows 10, and the following hardware/software (y) for which we have not yet determined compatibility with windows 10 - visit the manufactures support website to determine compatibility of these items". As user testing/telemetry (point 3 above) identified that 6150 owners were having issues, the 6150 would have moved from list "y" to list "x". Instead they let users fall into the trap that you did, determine that the 6150 was incompatible, and then updated their compatibility database to stop other users having the issue.

You may have the option of purchasing a display adapter that is windows 10 compatible, however, given that your system is obviously aged, You may want to think carefully about whether it is worth doing that, certainly once you did that and performed the Win 10 upgrade, you may find that any further upgrade of your system altered the hardware fingerprint of your system (that MS tied your Win 10 upgrade to) in a way that Win 10 would no longer activate (and you'd need to buy a new copy of Win 10 or go back to your earlier OS (if indeed that could be made to activate after the changes).

x64

#7 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:39 AM

I had the same thing and when I first reserved Windows 10 on an older machine it said it was compatible and it even attempted to do an upgrade and fail and then said that Nvidia doesn't plan to support my graphics card GeForce 7600 that came out when Vista was out. Now if I do a compatibility check it says Nvidia doesn't plan to support this graphics card. It's a laptop and the Graphics cards can't be changed so it remains with Windows 7.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users