Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I use XP safely?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 justme4now

justme4now

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

Right now I am getting tired of using my tablet (laptop still has virus in it) and I am fondly remembering my tiny notebook that still runs XP. (Oh how I miss XP - I don't know what it is about it but I just love it so much...)

I was wondering, to cut down on the security risk, would using a VPN like CyberGhost for example, help?

And what other programs, not AVG, should I install? There is very little storage on there, thats another problem.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2015 - 04:57 PM.
Moved from XP to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

I feel your pain! :(

Read:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585220/how-secure-is-it/?p=3781808

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

you can upgrade the hard drive to a larger one. this would make this old notebook much nicer. I like people who attach to old habits, like using Win XP.

just clone the old drive to the new one. no need to reinstall anything.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:51 AM

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

XP users should read these topics for more tips and suggestions...XP users should also stop using Internet Explorer since that version is no longer supported and is vulnerable to exploits. Instead, they should use an updated alternate browser.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

Immediately stop using IE, switch to firefox, run noscript within firefox and run an ad blocker as well. Ensure all plugins are disabled, expect on the very rare occasions when you need them, on those days switch them to "ask to activate", then deactivate them again once you've one the thing which they were needed for. Run malwarebytes anti-exploit on the system, and run a good antivirus and a good antimalware program. Also make sure to set up the file exploer to show "full file extensions even for known file types" to avoid viruses of the screenshot.jpg.scr or document.pdf.exe sort, and make sure to have system images made and backups of all your files on external media. This still isn't enough to be truly secure on xp (it is enough to be reasonably secure on windows 7,8,8.1 ), but it's a start.

Edited by rp88, 18 August 2015 - 11:29 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

Software Restriction Policy, available on XP Pro machines only, as the Group Policy Editor is not part of XP Home, is also a good layer of security. However, unless you're an undeniable expert user or an Einstein, you'll have a lot of "fun" trying to figure it out.

Simple Software-Restriction Policy is, like the name says, simple to use. The script provides an automated configuration which should suit most standard Windows setups (but can be customizable at will). Also works on Home versions of Windows, where Group Policies are not available.

Only download software from their original developer's website, or from reputable download sites. Using a firefox add-on called VTzilla from VirusTotal is another layer of protection to make sure downloads are safe. Scan the downloads again with your computer's antivirus before opening or running them.

WOT is another useful browser add-on you can use.

You can also use OpenDNS instead of your ISP's DNS servers. They're usually faster, more reliable and secure, especially against phishing scams.

Stay away from any type of file sharing applications (P2P, torrents...).

Avoid software of a questionable nature, especially free one, like YouTube downloaders, DVD rippers, screen savers, etc., which all include spyware or adware or toolbars or whatever unwanted applications... Some will let you choose to accept their installation or not, others will not ask for permission...

Don't forget to update software, especially Flash, Java (even remove Java), .pdf readers... The OS is far from being the only thing that needs to be patched... This is as important on Windows Vista, 7 or 8...

Make sure your important data is backed up safely. Making a full image backup of your entire system and an emergency rescue disk is not a bad idea either and might come in handy.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Here are a few more articles with tips and suggestions.

Survive the XPocalypse: 10 Tips to Keep Running It Safely
How can I use Windows XP safely now it's no longer supported?
What to do if you want to keep Windows XP After Support Ends

#8 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

100% safety is not guaranteed but you can be 99% sure by installing an good antivirus software in your system.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

Actually no antivirus will guarantee 99% safety.

It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed.

#10 justme4now

justme4now
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

Wow - I totally missed all of these answers. Thank you so much! There is a lot to look at and absorb... I feel I am in good company...

I am pretty careful where I go, and what I download but there is certainly room for improvement. I never use IE, by the way, I am a total Firefox fanatic, and I only use Chrome when I need the flash player which got me in trouble the other day with my laptop that runs Win7. But I would never use Chrome with XP, that's for sure.

Again, thanks a bunch for all this advice. There are a LOT of things I'm not doing to keep my notebook safe. :orange:

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#12 justme4now

justme4now
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

"you can upgrade the hard drive to a larger one. this would make this old notebook much nicer."

Bailifei, I don't really understand what you mean. :scratchhead: Are you talking about increasing the RAM memory, or are you talking about a physical hard drive? Sorry, clueless here...

Edited by justme4now, 24 August 2015 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users