Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dimension 2400 Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TonyToklas

TonyToklas

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586463/windows-xp-gets-past-the-logo-screen-and-then-turns-the-screen-blackbluescreen - Hamluis.

I'm having a similar problem on  a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop PC from 2003. XP will boot up to right before the sign-in

screen and just hang there with the windows flag logo.It does this in any mode and no error message to name the cause.

. I have been in recovery console about 5 times. I did chkdsk but nothing was revealed. Funny thing that the XP CD will

boot up in the CD_ROM but Hirens wont, it never gets started. I copied Hirens into a flash drive and that does not boot up

either.I tried system restore in recovery console but it has been over 90 days of this BS  so now there is no visible restore

point before the problem began. I got 12 years of stuff on that pc and don't want to re-install xp. Should I just  add

another partition to the PC and put on a Linux op sys to try to get file access ? andif so what kind goes with an old 133 MHz

Celeron processor with about 256K ram?

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2015 - 07:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

You should have posted in a separate thread.

For an old XP computer download Puppy Linux 5.2.8 here and burn the iso to a disk or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Your computer is at an age where it may not support booting from a USB. When you boot Puppy you will see your hard drive partitions labeled as sda1....sda2... depending on how many partitions are on the hard drive.

lupu-528.005.iso

In Puppy you only need to click once on a folder to open it. Click once on one of the sda partitions and a File Manager will open. Attache a USB flash or external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager will open. Highlight the files you wish to copy in your sda partition by left clicking and holding the Ctrl key or windowing around them. Drag the Highlighted folders from the sda File Manager to your USB File Manager. A small dialog will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select Copy and click the quiet box.

Here is a guide that may explain it better. Do not do the disk fix as shown in the guide.

There is no need to install linux to another partition on the drive. You can copy the files using the above method.

#3 TonyToklas

TonyToklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Thank you John and moderator for this separate thread. I know there are several people around having problems with XP and apparently the limitations of CD-rom and the hardware on this fossil may only allow the installation disk to run. Don't get me wrong, though I cant complain much because for 12 years there no hardware problems. Also I did recover 5 times in 2009 from those ransomware antivirus programs by learning on my own. Thanks again for the suggestions below. Rufus and Puppy are names I have heard before.For the flash drive I downloaded grub4dos and tried to use it to no avail. It may be awhile before I can concentrate on this.

#4 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

You can just install windows XP on top of your current windows xp and all of your files will be fine. It's called a parallel install and it's a 2 on difficulty scale of 1 to 10

A paraellel install of windows won't damage your files, but it will render most of your programs inert, of which you'll need to reinstall. Not to big a deal.

TO run a parellel install, simply insert a windows disc of your choice, 7, 8, 10, doesn't matter.

Boot from the Disc.
Choose "Custom" from the install menu. Select your partition (DO NOT DELETE or FORMAT PARTITION) and install the operating system right on top of your current system. A message should pop up saying that a windows system was detected, and all of your files will be placed into a folder on your c: drive called windows.old

Let the installer run.

When the machine boots back up and you create a new windows profile, things might look a little funky and your files won't be where you expect them to be. Simply navigate to the c: drive windows.old/user/old profile folder, find your previous user profile, and copy all of your files from that folder, directly into the new user profile under c:  windows/user/new profile.

Then go into the device manager and make sure all of your drivers have loaded correctly. If there are some missing, you can either run the windows custom update to find some missing drivers or search for drivers on the machine under c:windows.old\windows\

system32.

Then reinstall your programs, and you should be back in business.

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users