Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Reboots Itself

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Soltis

Soltis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:47 PM

Hi,

I'm running Microsoft Windows XP Professional. A couple of weeks ago I was hit with a lot of spyware/malware/junk, and I thought I had cleaned most of it up using HijackThis, Ad-Aware, Ewido, VundoFix, and maybe some others. Since then, however, my computer has started rebooting itself, seemingly at random. Although I had some overheating problems in the past (a year ago or so), my PC has never rebooted itself before--it always only gave me warning beeps.

Now, it reboots itself and I can't figure out why or what triggers it. Sometimes, when the computer has been off all night, I turn it on to try to check my email, etc., and it reboots within a minute after startup (so it doesn't seem to be a heating issue). Other times it has rebooted while surfing the net, while playing a game, while I'm using MS Word, while just sitting there with the screensaver on, etc. Sometimes it will reboot itself 3-4 times in a 20 minute period, and at other times I can use it for hours without a problem.

Once, the computer rebooted itself immediately after I unplugged my modem (I was online at the time) to run some spyware scans. Since then, I have noticed that every time I unplug the power to my cable modem while online Windows pops up with a message saying: "Local Area Network cable unplugged". About 10 seconds later, the computer reboots.

I think this is related to the spyware/viruses I got a couple of weeks ago, because the problem appeared that same day (or the next), and I had never had it before, although I've had this computer for almost 2 years. Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

Soltis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:04 PM

Random Rebooting How to turn off Automatic Reboot

In order to figure out why you are getting random reboots, you need to make a settings change to your computer. Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Setup and Recovery 'Settings'

UN check 'Automatically Restart'. Click OK.

Reboot your computer. Now when Windows detects a problem it will not automatically reboot, but rather give you a blue screen.

Blue screens are often called 'Blue Screens of Death' (or BSOD) by users, and 'Stop Messages' by Microsoft. We need to know the exact message you see when you get the blue screen. We especially are looking for a set of letters and numbers about half way down the page that take this format:

0x0000008e

This is usually followed by a set of 4 similar numbers in parenthesis. For now we just need the first set of letter and numbers (before the numbers in the parenthesis).

#3 Soltis

Soltis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:19 PM

Thank you for the response! I did as you asked, and a while later I got a BSOD saying something like:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

0x0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

I guess the number you're looking for is 0x0000005.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

Do you have all the Microsoft Updates installed?

#5 Soltis

Soltis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:47 AM

I'm not sure; how would I check whether I have all updates installed or not?

#6 Soltis

Soltis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

OK, according to the Windows Update webpage (http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us)
there are no updates available for my computer.

I'm still getting random reboots, all with the same error message as before. I have verified again that when I unplug my cable the computer reboots with the exact same error message. Please help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users