Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Red flashing boot screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jasonmuk

Jasonmuk

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:26 AM

Hello all..

My sons pc has started flashing red on startup and then i get a not supported message on the screen. I looked into it and thought it might be a dispaly driver problem, so i started in safe mode and removed the nvidia videocard driver and device and connected the cable display back to the original built in, but it still happened..

The pc has recently been going through a lot of windows updates ( which he hasn't done for ages ) so i tried a system restore to 2 days ago when it was fine..now all i get is the red flashing boot screen and then a not supported message on the monitor..

I have added a video to show whats happening..

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B709gjPod-k

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

Hi Jasonmuk,

Seems like nobody here (at the moment) knows.I am not sure I can help but!.

I have a lot of questions,

1  graphics card model No, motherboard make an model.

2  cables used (ie HDMI > HDMI, DVI > HDMI etc)

3  monitor model (LG ?).

When you installed updates, it must have working y/n?

How did the sys restore go (how do you know)

I need some help, but I agree I think it's the graphics card and or monitor.

I will assume "not support!" means no connection.

Hedge

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

I have to admit I have never seen a problem like this before but there is one simple step you can take to localise the cause of the problem - beg borrow or steal another (definitely working) monitor, connect it and see what happens.

If the computer bursts into flawless life and the display is everything you would expect, then the problem is with the monitor. Given that they are virtually not repairable then it is time for a new one.

If you merely get a repeat of this red flashing display, then it is a motherboard problem of some sort. In which case post back with details of the computer - make and model, or principal components - and we'll work on finding out where the problem is.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Jasonmuk

Jasonmuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

Connected the pc to another monitor and the same problem happens, i can boot in safe mode and safe mode with networking but the screen is still the same, red and flashing on then off ...the only problem is that after about 2 minutes the screen goes off completely so as for trying to install anything its a lost cause....

#5 Jtiger360

Jtiger360

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

Can you uninstall the video drivers then install up-to-date drivers in safe mode with networking? If not try it. Then reboot to normal mode.

That red is not something from Windows, that is a bad connection (check your connection) or a bad video card/video card driver it seems.

If you have another video port not on your video card (such as one that came on the motherboard), try hooking it up to that. Make sure to disable the main video card in control panel before you do.Then reboot and see if Windows boots normal.

A+ Certified

Edited by Jtiger360, 16 August 2015 - 11:06 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

If you merely get a repeat of this red flashing display, then it is a motherboard problem of some sort. In which case post back with details of the computer - make and model, or principal components

Your #4 confirms that this is a computer problem, not a monitor problem. Normally I would ask you to attach a 'Speccy' report and a Mini toolbox report but since you cannot install and run software at the moment please supply the above information which I requested earlier. This will at least provide the information to start making informed guesses.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users