Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Win10' I need time to decide, but it wants to upgrade now!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:34 AM

Hi Guy's

I have a Win7 laptop and a Win7 desktop. I like a lot of what I've read about Win10, although not all. But I was hoping that the laptop would be offered it first.

It's a refurb, That I only recently bought. My intention was to install slide shows of my art work and use it to show potential customers. Anyway I was hoping to install Win10 on that and put it through it's paces. That way I could decide before upgrading my main PC.

Unfotunately it hasn't worked out that way. Yesterday Win10 downloaded to my desktop PC. It said click here to upgrade, I was panicing and got a tad twitchy. But was pacified when it went on to say...

1 - Expect a 10 second prep of your device

2 - Review the licence agreement

3 - Choose when to upgrade

Phew, it was number (3) that made me relax.

Remembering I'd read you can wait for almost a year before making up your mind. So, I pressed the...

'OK let's continue' button.

Did (1) then (2) now I'm faced with (3) no problem, I thought but hereby lies the rub...

"Choose a date and time when you want to install the upgrade" 

These are the choices I get...

16/08/2015

17/08/2015

18/08/2015

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

Hi Graphicool1 :)

I'm pretty sure you can just close the window and it'll wait until you launch the process manually to upgrade.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

When three days have passed, it will show up, and you can reschedule the Windows 10 upgrade to three more days, and so on. Yes, its annoying for it to come every three days, but that's how you can wait out.

EDIT: fixed a typo

Edited by CKing123, 16 August 2015 - 11:57 AM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#4 ALSOAngie

ALSOAngie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

When three days have passed, it will show up, and you can reschedule the Windows 10 upgrade to three more days, and so on. Yes, its annoying for it to come every three days, but that's how you can wait out.

EDIT: fixed a typo

Well doesn't doesn't put a very good taste in my mouth when it comes to Windows 10. I mean it is understandable that people are leary .. especially when some have had issues and with Microsoft's track record in the past .. but they are going to nag us to death until we decide but they said ahead of time we had a year. So they are full of lies?

#5 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for your input guys, you've made me feel a bit more relaxed. However, I've still gone ahead and made a system clone and a backup, just in case. It's my belief that you can never be too certain where microsoft are concerned.

But thanks again and fingers crossed.

Edited by Graphicool1, 17 August 2015 - 05:41 AM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

No problem Graphicool, let us know how it goes :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for your input guys, you've made me feel a bit more relaxed. However, I've still gone ahead and made a system clone and a backup, just in case. It's my belief that you can never be too certain where microsoft are concerned.

But thanks again and fingers crossed.

You are welcome!

Plus, more backups are always good!

When you do upgrade, please tell us about your Windows 10 upgrade experience here

Edited by CKing123, 17 August 2015 - 10:01 AM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users