Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding PC temperatures

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scavenger

scavenger

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:48 AM

Hi,

I have recently installed a new cpu cooler. I had a very basic intel one and i installed a CoolerMaster 412S. However i noticed this while monitoring :

zRF2OSo.jpg

What is that second temperature and why is it so high?

Also are my CPU core temps ok?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:07 AM

Second temperature is maximum temperature that has been reported during monitoring. Your temperature seems to be rather high in my opinion. If it stays at 70C during high stress then it's within acceptable range but I would still consider checking the cooling system used.

The sensor with 99C is on mainboard and whether its good or bad thing depends on its location. I think that sometimes they might not even work correctly. If it jumps much then it could be

faulty sensor.

Edited by Slurppa, 16 August 2015 - 05:09 AM.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

Those CPU core temperatures look high to me.  56-57 seems high for an idle temperature, while 64-67 is high for the modest peak loads shown.  My guess is load it up to 100% using a stress testing program will see the temperatures spike up towards the danger zone.

For comparison I have a Lynnfield i5 (same era as i7-920) and was getting idle core temps in the mid-upper 20's, with an AC Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler.  At 100% load (@ 3.6 Ghz) I was getting mid 70's.  It depends on ambient temperature of course, but unless you're in the Sahara, they seem high.  I would suggest checking the cooler is fitted properly.  Clean it and the CPU with alcohol and refit with a small amount of thermal compound, making sure you follow the fitting instructions for your CPU socket type.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users