Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint Swap Partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:34 AM

Hi all,

Total newbie question, installed Mint on the HDD default settings, and it created a Swap Partition that I really could do without,as it eats up one of the partitions I really need for Windows data files.

Have seen how I can make it a Swap File instead but wondered if I can just delete the existing Swap Partition without affecting things ?  ( have 4gb of memory and do not use hibernation)

If it does and I really need to reinstall Mint (cinnamon) how do I tell it Not to create the Swap Partition ?

thanks

Edited by dino2014, 16 August 2015 - 03:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:38 AM

dino2014, you're not required to have a Swap partition, though it'll recommend one. 

You can just install w/out it if you don't want or need it. Can also delete the one you already have, if desired. 

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

How can I turn off swap permanently?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:04 AM

Great Tip, Nick! :thumbup2:

Swappiness is among the first items that I change on my PC, my main one is set to 1, the Swap partition is 4GiB (because VMware Player suggested it), though it's seldom accessed, while my notebooks are set to 5 & 256MiB Swap partition w/no issues. At one time, was running one w/out a Swap partition & set Swappiness to 10 for safety only. 

The one thing that I've never understood, regardless of the OS brand, how in the world can one with 32GB RAM in a PC be running low on memory because there's only 256MiB Swap or Pagefile? RAM is the fastest component of a computer, even DDR2 & DDR types, why doesn't it use all of the installed RAM before it goes to Swap or rely on a pagefile? On an older system with 1 to 8GB DDR/DDR2/DDR3 RAM, I can see it, with 16 to 32GB, I cannot. One of my VM's has 12GB 'lent' RAM alone, leaving a whopping 20GB for the host. What's the point of VMware Player, which I use daily, 'needing' 4GiB Swap that it never uses. 

Linux distros have improved greatly over the years, have never understood 'why' a default of 60 is needed by anyone these days. Maybe for a server? 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users