Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No signal to screen after restart, shut down/ cold boot works fine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maya Blue

Maya Blue

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:32 AM

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
AMD FX Series FX-6300 6x 3.50GHz So.AM3+
BIOS Version American Megatrends Inc. P1.60, 06.05.2014
2x 8GB (2x 4096MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9-9-9-24 Dual Kit
2048MB KFA2 GeForce GTX 750 EX OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xDVI/1xHDMI/1xVGA (Retail)
1000GB Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 7.200U/min 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s
Thermalright True Spirit 90 M Rev. A Tower Kühler
Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
520 Watt Seasonic S12ll Bronze 80+

Its a new build, my first, too.
Had trouble with a faulty PSU and bleepty mobo before, now new mobo installed and the following problem:
The Pc powers up just fine, same goes for shut down.
However, any attempts to use restart lead to the screen losing signal and not regaining it. The power light is still on, all fans still spinning, gpu/ cpu fan as well, however, the HDD light turns off and stays that way.
The only exception is a restart after being in the BIOS settings- that restart shuts the plwer off for a split second, though-
when the power stays on, the aforememtioned problem arises.
I have no way of telling what goes on without a screen signal and have to hold down the power button to shut down.
This happened right from the start, when installing OS, the very first restart triggered by Windows install.

I have tried updating the BIOS (very easy with asus), as ive seen several people solving their problem that way. it now shows as the newest version, though the update required a soft reboot that, again, led to no signal & made it neccessary to shut the PC down via power button press -and the pc took 2 tries to start normally again- so maybe the bios install didnt work properly (even though it shows no errors).

I have also checked and rechecked the GPU, taken it out and set back in.

Have taken out, waited 30mins and put back in the CMOS battery.

At my wits end here, folks. In desperate need of some insight and help.
Thank you,

Maya

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:47 AM

Normally i strip everything and start from scratch and double check everything as you go along.

1/ You can try without the hard drive connected and see if Bios posts ok and beeps are correct.

2/ You will lose screen signal momentarilly if you are resetting or rebooting.

3/ YOU WROTE : The Pc powers up just fine, same goes for shut down.

However, any attempts to use restart lead to the screen losing signal and not regaining it.

? So why are you restarting it if it powers just fine.

4/ Try without the video card if you have a connection on rear panel of motherboard to use onboard Video and see if problem persists.

#3 Maya Blue

Maya Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:28 AM

2: yes, but only momentarily, not staying that way indefinately

3 : Because any Windows updates as well as many installs force a restart and then Im left hanging.
    Plus its a brand new system and something is wrong- thats not how I wanna start out, always worrying about sth.

4: unfortunately, I do not

1: trying that now.

--> shows the mobo splash screen with the normal prompts, then goes to the expected "insert media or choose boot option"... something along those lines

NO BEEPS at all

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

Unless somebody else assists you , i would try the following.

1/ Reinstall the Operating System.

2/ Load all Motherboard Drivers as Required { From Supplied Disc }

3/ Install GPU Drivers { From Supplied Disc }

4/ Then see if runs stable and no other issues.

If you do have any issues - run repair disc and check for any hard drive issues { Chkdsk } and Memory issues.

5/ If all goes well , then create a Windows Backup to an external drive.

6/ Start installing Windows Critical updates in small batches and test each time , if ok install more updates.

Post back with any results - Some of the Experts here may be able to assist you further in creating logs and posting them to check out and guide you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users