Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSE doesn't come up at startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:52 AM

Recently, MSE on my Win7 Pro 64 bit ASUS desktop dropped out of the startup list, I don't know why.  There doesn't seem to be an option in the latest version to say "run at start".  I added it to the startup menu manually and now the user interface comes up.  i checked the startup menu on my Win7 Pro 64 bit Lenovo laptop and it's in there but with options:

The desktop:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe

The laptop:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe -hide -runkey

What's the best way to update the startup entry on my desktop to add the run options so it'll just run silently?  I've seen one or two posts that suggest I should reinstall, is there a less disruptive way to do this?  Before you ask, no, there is no other antivirus program running that I'm aware of, I always use official removal tools.  The only other security program running is MalwareBytes Pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:27 AM

I have just read through you previous post HERE    .....personally I would uninstall MSE and reinstall.

If you have a mind to try another AV which definitely does not conflict with MBAM then i would recommend Bitdefender Free

I have been using it for some time now and it is seriously unobtrusive. I also use MBAM paid.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

I agree with Condobloke.

When unexpected issues arise with anti-virus software, I generally recommend a reinstall which resolves most problems. If that does not help...then Bitdefender free is a good alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

Sorry for the slow response, the last few weeks have been chaotic.  I agree, uninstall and reinstall is likely the answer, but:

Do I need an uninstaller?  There seem to be 2 uninstallers on the Bleeping Computer download list, depending on which version of MSE I have.  But I can't tell what version I have - the About panel shows 5 different version numbers:

Antimalware Client Version: 4.8.204.0
Engine Version: 1.1.12002.0
Antivirus definition: 1.205.1807.0
Antispyware definition: 1.205.1807.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.1.11804.0
Network Inspection System Definition Version: 115.18.0.0

Which is the one that defines which uninstaller I need?  I think I probably don't need the version 1  uninstaller, but 3 of the 5 version numbers begin with a 1.  Help??  And all the posts I've seen say, use the uninstaller only if the Control Panel uninstall doesn't work - but how would I know??

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

What version of Microsoft Security Essentials do I have?

Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials by Stephen Boots, MVP
How to Completely Uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials

#6 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:59 PM

Thank you, thank you!  I'll read all those and follow up.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:18 PM

You're welcome.

#8 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:59 AM

Turns out that not starting at boot isn't my biggest problem with MSE.  My husband and I both run it, on 3 computers, and we haven't been able to run a full scan on any box since July.  The full scan hangs part way through.  My husband says he has the error described in this article:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/microsoft-security-essentials-hangs-during-full/a6ea587c-b742-41f9-9db3-8d61b8cf7a7e

I don't even know what error I have, because I run the full scan off the task manager, and I get no logs or progress bars at all.  The task just never ends.  This happened again yesterday on the very latest version of MSE, which I installed on the laptop yesterday.  Microsoft's response is to recommend excluding a certain directory from the scan, which just makes my hair stand on end.  I've had it, especially given the lack of logs or documentation, and the fact that in 3 months they have no better suggestion.

You mention BitDefender as an alternative.  How would you stack that up against AVG Free, which my sister uses and likes?  Any other suggestions??  I'd like a product where I can schedule a daily quick scan AND a weekly full scan without having to mess with the task scheduler, which is free and reasonably light on the system?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

My personal recommendation is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free.

#10 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

Thanks, quietman.  I looked at several of them yesterday and got that impression.  I think I'll go with BitDefender Free, although I'm pretty good at intercepting attempts to install taskbars etc.  It isn't that I object to paying; but my experience has been that I actually get better results from the freebies, with less impact on the system.  Which is ridiculous, but there it is.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

You're welcome.