Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot went wrong, what do I do?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kittyhacker101

kittyhacker101

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:24 PM

I was trying to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu (I wanted to try Ubuntu, because it is getting popular) and it went horribly wrong. Every time I boot it automatically boots into Ubuntu, but All of my data is still on my hard drive, including my Windows Partition. I am nearly a expert with Windows, but a noob with Ubuntu. I don't care if I lose Ubuntu, I just want Windows back. Please help!!!!!

Edited by kittyhacker101, 15 August 2015 - 11:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kittyhacker101

kittyhacker101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

Why won't anyone post an answer!

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

Hi :welcome: To BC

You need to update grub.

Start your PC and let it boot into Ubuntu, Then open terminal and type.
sudo update-grub 
Then hit enter, You will be asked for your password ( the one you created when you installed Ubuntu ) enter it and hit enter. Now reboot your PC and grub should give you the option to boot windows. Windows will be at the bottom listed as Windows 8 loader. Select it and hit enter.
photo(5).jpg

Edited by NickAu, 16 August 2015 - 12:02 AM.

#4 kittyhacker101

kittyhacker101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:03 AM

I updated grub and the problem is fixed! Thank you!

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:08 AM

You are most welcome.

Nick.

#6 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:24 AM

Aw, I hope you stick with the Ubuntu. I just installed it and I'm having a lot of fun learning about linux.  :dance:  Dual booting is cool when it works, because I have everything I need now. But, I also picked up an external hard drive just to keep windows system image and backups. Hope I never need them!

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:26 AM

NickAU- as usual- you have the right answer for someone trying to do a dual -boot- god knows how frustrating this can be without knowledge of grub2 and how it works- with Linux becoming so popular you would think their would be an easy-to-understand tutorial on how to do this- as you know- I have been through the same process myself- having installed some 20 or so distros- it can be very- what is the word- daunting- to a new user-  and once the installation is done - most people are happy campers- I know I was- anyway- kudos to you for laying out the process!

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:35 AM

I updated grub and the problem is fixed! Thank you!

kittyhacker101,  :welcome: to the Linux section of Bleeping Computer! :)

Glad to hear that things turned out well with the dual boot. Should you need further assistance, as most newcomers to any Linux version does, always feel free to return! :thumbup2:

We go the distance to assist all of our members in a friendly manner.  :)

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users