Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Randomly Goes to Sleep

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andrewb7

andrewb7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I am in dire help. I am overseas for school, and I just started getting a weird issue.

My laptop is an ASUS Q500a. Currently running windows 7. 

For some reason, it has been randomly sleeping probably every 5-20 minutes, not consistent intervals. 

Ive noticed sometimes it occurs from me moving it a bit. I feel as if it might be the RAM, though I am unsure if that would even cause it.

At first I though it was overheating, but the temperature ranges from 37-50 degrees celsius which is manageable for an i5 3230m processor ( maxes out at 105 celsius).

I have tried lowering cpu temp by lowering clock speed of cpu, however problem persists.

I have also tried, reinstalling Windows 7, even windows 8 and 10 . All 3 have same issue. 

I believe something is loose inside, however I am not sure. 

The reason why i think something is loose is because I tested out my theory that the issue occurs from movement by moving my laptop around, and everytime I give it a little dance it occurs.

I really need some help, any suggestions would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

if it happens on movement it definitely sounds hardware related.  you could have a loose connector inside, or a short happening, a wire off or crimped or faulty, or a motheroboard screw or other piece that came loose or broke off and is moving around shorting things. 

really the way to debug that is to open it up and blow it out with compressed air (see if anything comes out) and give it a shake over a surface... you could even have a screw or something that came loose fall out. when the case is open (laptop off, battery out and power cable unplugged), you can just press on connectors to make sure they're snug.

Before you open the case, you can get an idea of the area where it's happening by pressing along the top panel (the panel that you have the keyboard, palm rest and trackpad in) and see if that causes it and where the location is that causes it and check there.  You could even check squeezing along the outsides of where the lcd panel connects.  I don't know that laptop specifically, but on most laptops there's often a smaller board that connects to the power on switch so pressing along the top near the power on switch can trip that if it's faulty, and pressing along the top near where the case cover is will trip a connector problem with the lcd screen video connector. that can also cause a hibernation/sleep mode. but if you get the same response when you press or squeeze an area before opening the case make a mental note of that and look in that area for a short, or loose connector, (or even the case creating a short if a pad has slipped).

of course, having said all that, I am presuming this happens when you're running on the battery.  often the dc input ports (where the power cable attaches to the laptop) get loose or fail, and in that case your battery isn't charging, so when you shake it you've just disconnected the dc power without battery to sustain it (though you may not have noticed it stopped charging or connecting so don't know your battery has no charge) and then it immediatley hibernates because it has no power.  so you might confirm your battery is charged when this is happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users