Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Connect Drive, Connect Music, Connect Photo- want them gone

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DS&LDB

DS&LDB

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

I do not have the skill set to follow along with some of the threads on this subject at this site to rid this laptop off these HP Connect cloud things that I've read rope users into their basic service then end up charging people for the service.

This laptop is an HP Envy and it has a 1T HD. There is no need for cloud storage and besides which, my friend who now owns this laptop really can't afford to pay for those types of services anyway.

Supposedly I should be able to go to that start screen and right click on the associated icon to uninstall them from there. Didn't work. I was sent to add/remove programs and they're not listed there to uninstall.

I installed something called ZSoft uninstaller that was free hoping maybe they'd show up as programs there so I could uninstall them. They didn't appear as programs there either. I think I found them but don't quite know what to do with them. They're here- This PC> App Data> Roaming> Microsoft> Windows> Start Menu> Programs.

Would someone be in a position to talk me through getting rid of them for my friend? Please go easy on me, I'm not much more computer literate than my friend and don't know what most acronyms the members use here stand for other than the most obvious such as HP for Hewlett-Packard, OS for operating system, and PC for personal computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

It's possible these are Metro Apps. You can uninstall them using this guide. If  you do not see the app on the Metro UI page then search for it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/uninstall-an-app-in-windows-8/

#3 DS&LDB

DS&LDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

Yes, I found that thread before I registered here.

Instructions from the thread which I believe I followed properly before posting:

In the Metro Start screen, scroll through the apps until you find the one that you wish to uninstall. When you find the App that you wish to uninstall, right-click on it with your mouse and new dialog panel will open as shown in the image below.

Uninstall a Windows 8 Metro App

Once you right-click on an App you will see options that are specific to the particular app. For this App, we have the option to Uninstall the App or unpin it so it not shown in the Metro Start screen. As we wish to uninstall the App, you simply need to click on the Uninstall button. You will then be presented with a confirmation as to whether or not you wish to remove the App as shown in the image below.

Uninstall app confirmation

Click on the Uninstall button to continue with the uninstall of the selected App. The selected App is now longer available on your computer and in order to install that App again you will need to download it from the Windows Store.

If you have any questions regarding this process, please ask in our Windows 8 forums."

From my 1st post above:

Supposedly I should be able to go to that start screen and right click on the associated icon to uninstall them from there. Didn't work. I was sent to add/remove programs and they're not listed there to uninstall.

I was not able to uninstall those programs/apps by following the instructions in that thread which is why I started a thread in this forum as instructed to do if I had questions.

These are my options when I right click on any of the HP Connect icons in the start screen and uninstall is most unfortunately not one of them:
Unpin From Start
Pin To Taskbar
Open New Window
Run As Administrator
Open File Location
Resise

That's it. No uninstall option.

I found another thread about these HP Connect Cloud things where a few people were speaking candidly, http://hpsupport.meridian-audio.com/hpconnectedmusic/topics/how_can_i_get_rid_of_hp_connected_music. Most likely there is a shred of truth to what they're saying which concerns me because I would not want all of the file associations changed by somehow activating any of these cloud things. I could really use help uninstalling HP Connect Drive, HP Connect Music, and HP Connect Photo.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:08 AM

You can do a clean install using the free Windows 8.1 media Micorsoft supplies. Your key is embedded in firmware. After the install your computer will activate when connected to the internet. Doing this would get rid of everything HP on the computer but you would lose your programs and any personal data/settings like email and favorites would need to be backed up. 

From  this link it looks like it is almost impossible to uninstall. The company that sponsers that software simply says to uninstall it either in Control Panel or the Metro Apps which obviously cannot be done. Is there anything called connect your your installed software listings?

#5 DS&LDB

DS&LDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Yes, that's the exact same link I found and added to one of my posts above. People are pretty upset and I don't blame them. If one does internet searches back 4-5 pages, one will find even more people who are thoroughly disgusted and ready to rip their hair out at the bait and switch tactics employed by HP to get people to unwittingly activate HP Connect accounts that are anything but free.

My friend couldn't afford to buy McAffee's antivirus software for this laptop let alone all the other crap it's trying to back her into corners to buy like cloud services and WIN 10 and besides which, this laptop we gave her has 1T of storage which is plenty for her DIY quilting YouTubes and such. In answer to your question, I found shortcuts to these HP Connect program all over this laptop and paths to the associated icons but.... I may have found the .exe files here: This PC> App Data> Roaming> Microsoft> Windows> Start Menu> Programs. I'm not allowed to uninstall them though or at least I can't figure out how to do it. I doubt it's as simple as merely deleting those files which... I considered doing out of complete and unadulterated frustration.

That being said, I believe you are correct and that a clean install is the fix to so many issues I am having with this computer. It's as if it's been hijacked for some greater good. There are so many programs phonin' home to momma it's hard using it.

I have never installed or reinstalled an OS before in my life but... I'm game to go for it if someone would be in a position to talk me through the process. She has no data on this laptop. My kid never used this computer. He left it in the box because it didn't have enough oomph for him and she literally took it out of the box and turned it on only a handful of times because she couldn't figure out how to use it. She gave it back to me to make "usable" for her. The only programs she has are free programs I added like the Firefox browser, CCleaner, MalwareBytes, OpenOffice, a disk defragmenter, ZSoft Uninstaller and AVG 2015 Free that I would feel comfortable installing again. I think I found the key on this computer but I forgot where. I found it again in a different location by right clicking on This PC then clicking on properties. It was originally listed as being a product ID that get this.... isn't available to me any longer. Go figure. Regardless, I wrote it down in a spiral notebook when I first found it... just in case I needed it.

*Editing post to create paragraphs rather than letting everything run together.

Edited by DS&LDB, 16 August 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

Before doing a clean install you may want to try the following. Download Autoruns here. Run it by Right clicking the exe file > Run as Administrator. Look for anything related to HP connect (use the search box) and uncheck the box next to it. Do not delete it. Reboot and the Programs should be prevented from starting up. I am pretty sure you can uninstall Mcaffee through Control Panel. Then install Bitdefender Free. Has excellent protection and is a set and forget AV. You do have to create an account though. Use a junk email address.

If you wish to do a clean install if the above does not solve the problem do the following.

What is the make and model of the computer as you may want to download drivers ahead of time in case the clean install does not recognize some hardware.

First just to be on the safe side pull the retail key from firmware using Produkey. You can comfirm that the same key is embedded in firmware using FirmwareTablesView and looking under the MSDM table.

Next download the Windows 8.1 media here. You need to pick the same version as what is on the computer, Home or Pro. The creation tool will allow you to make a bootable DVD ] or USB flash drive.

After you have downloaded and created the Windows 8.1 media test to make sure it is bootable on your computer then post back. I will give extra instructions on cleaning the drive to prepare for the install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 August 2015 - 10:16 AM.

#7 DS&LDB

DS&LDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

Oh oh oh, just re-reading your reply to me about favorites and I did bookmark about 20 threads from Bleeping Computer that I've been using. Those could be cut and pasted into an e-mail that I could mail back to myself.

I believe I read almost all of the WIN 8 tutorials here and don't recall a DIY on reinstalling the OS. I am not familiar with the free Windows 8.1 media Micorsoft supplies you mentioned.  Would you be able to link me to an article on doing this so that I could get a "feel" for what I'm going to be up againt. My firend's old WIN95 desktop bit the dust. It's got a blue screen that won't go away. I honestly can't believe that computer lasted as long as it did. She could really use a computer to get to e-mails from family and friends so any help getting this done would be more appreciated than you might realize. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:23 AM

No need to email back the bookmarks. What is your browser? I edited my post for the link to the media creation tool. Once the media is created I can walk you through the steps but I want to make sure the media boots on your computer first.

#9 DS&LDB

DS&LDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Oops, typing when you were typing.

I got rid of McAffee by following advice on threads here. It's gone and along with it went that pop up telling us our trial version was expiring. I also followed directions on how to get rid of the offer to download a free WIN 10 by following instructions so those two annoyances are gone.

Thank you so very much for being a step ahead of me. I will start working on all that you suggested tomorrow and get back to you when I get hung up.

One quick thing that's jumping out at me, how would I go about getting drivers for this HP Envy Win 8.1 Home edition laptop and can these "drivers" be saved on a memory stick? I have a 16MB memory stick I could use.

Again, thank you so very much for trying to help me.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

Is there a model number of the HP envy? It should be on the back or in the battery compartment. Edit: And what browser do you use?

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 August 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#11 DS&LDB

DS&LDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

I installed the Firefox browser for her.  I also installed the Opera browser but haven't used it yet.

I think maybe I do need to e-mail back those bookmarks to myself because they represent about 40 hours of reading threads here before I registered. They will be gone if I zero out this computer, right?

Later on today I'll go out and buy a DVD. Presumably I'll need one to make the bootable DVD.

I'm looking at a sticker on this HP laptop and I'm seeing 1080P. Does that mean anything to you? Perhaps it is the model of Envy.

I have to go feed and water chickens. I will be back soon as I can.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:46 AM

1080P is the screen resolution. You should be able to get the info by Right Clicking Computer.

For firefox you can backup your bookmarks by clicking your Bookmarks icon then selecting Show All Bookmarks. In the menu bar select Export/Import > Backup. This will create a file with a json extension that can be imported again after the clean install. You can also export to an HTML file that you can open in a browser. This will have live links that you can click to get your bookmarked page. Save the json and html file to a flash drive.

Hp envy have different models for the laptops. Each one may have a different driver. See this link.

#13 DS&LDB

DS&LDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:01 PM

I installed and ran Autoruns. Surprise surprise. HP Connected Drive, Music, and Photo weren't listed. Thanks so much for trying though. It didn't work on this laptop but it did work on my PC and I was finally able to get some things out of start up on that computer that had been bothering me for a while. Really nice program.

The key finder program you recommended worked wonderfully. Thank you. The sequence of numbers and characters displayed matched the sequence I wrote down that went **poof** on me never to be seen again.

It's a wonderful thing knowing what one's screen resolution is. ;) Strange though. Wouldn't it be in the user's best interests if they printed the model # on that little label as opposed to printing the screen resolution and hiding the modle number beneath the laptop in the battery compartment? I would have never thought to look there unless you'd instructed me to do so. Defies logic but then a lot of what I'm seeing defies logic given this product is presumably for the enduser's benefit NOT the manufacturer's benefit.

I backed up the bookmarks per your instructions. They are saved to the desktop unless you would like me to tuck them away somewhere else.

Per your instructions and the link you provided, the model # of this HP Envy is m7-nolldx. It is admitedly hard to determine even with a magnifying glass and a flashlight whether the 5th and 6th haracters are the number one or the lowercase letter L.

I have writable DVDs although I admittedly don't know what to do with them. Soon as I get a friend over here to show my how to get the info from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media onto the DVD, I will report back. I may have to borrow a neighbor's teenager to get this taken care of.

When you have a spare moment, please let me know what to do next while I'm waiting to get that 8.1 onto the DVD. And thank you again for trying to help me.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

I have not had a chance to look up the model yet but the link to create the media will let you create a bootable USB flash drive if you have a spare lying around. Other than getting the drivers there is not much that can be done until the media is created and it is confirmed it will boot. I will edit this post with the page for your drivers if I can find it.

Here is the support page for your computer. Go to option 2 and select WIndows 8.1 in the dropdown box.

You do not need to download the BIOS.

You need to download the following. 

Chipset  There are 5 drivers but they may not all have to be installed after the OS install.

Network  - 3 drivers for LAN, WIreless, and Bluetooth

Graphics - There are two drivers. You need to find out first if you have the intel or nvidia chipset.

Keyboard,Mouse and Input devices - There are four drivers but the card reader driver version is one day later than the one under Driver - Storage

Driver - Storage   This is for your card reader

Driver -  Audio

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 August 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

DS&LDB, please see this post. It's possible HP put these programs in firmware but I can't confirm it. If you do a clean install, the programs may show up again. See the article linked to in the post.

Look for wpbbin.exe in C:\Windows\system32\

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 August 2015 - 09:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users