Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DS&LDB

DS&LDB

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

My son needed a laptop with more oomph to run scientific programs. At least that's what he told his father and I. The laptop we bought him was an HP Envy with WIN 8.1 that he never got around to doing anything with because he kept using his older Toshiba that according to him didn't have enough oomph to do what he wanted it to do either. Since my friend's computer was about to give up the ghost, we gave her the laptop and let the kid pick out a new laptop.

She took it out of the box and started it up a few times and then got overwhelmed since her old computer was WIN 95. Yes, I know... she had a very old computer. She gave this HP laptop back to me hoping I could help her with it. Hmmm, not good. We're talking the blind leading the blind. I was forced to get a new computer because XP wasn't getting any more updates and ended up with a new desktop that has WIN 7. It was hard enough on me learning the basics on that coming from XP but I started "getting it" after having no choice but to use it the last seven months. This 8.1 is hideous in my opinion. A lot of people over at Microsoft must have been having out of body experiences when they designed this operating system. It's absolutely horrible and everyone responsible should be lined up in front of a firing squad. It didn't even have a start button.

I've been playing with this laptop for the last week. When I went online looking to bail myself out, I ended up reading threads at this site the most. So here I am. Hoping to get help from people whom I presume have forgotten more than I'll ever know about computers before I pitch this laptop out my 2nd story window.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

Well, welcome to the Bleeping Computer forums! I'm sure you'll be able to find somebody to help you. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:48 PM

That's the best read/chuckle I have had in ages !!

There is a program called Classic Shell    that may help you with the start button thing....and make the whole thing more recognizable.

Welcome to BC. Stay awhile.

Brian.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 DS&LDB

DS&LDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

gigawert> Thank you. It is my hope to find knights in shining armor here who will be able to help me. ;) I'm most definitely out of my league considering I didn't grow up with a coffee pot that needed to be programmed.

Condobloke> Glad you got a good chuckle. I'm convinced the people who designed this 8.1 are young sadists. Pay backs are H E double hockey sticks. I can't wait until they're my age and the next generation dumps the equivalent of 8.1 on them!!!

Be afraid.... be very afraid. ;) That kid leaves for school in three days and is ultimately headed your way... with his newest laptop that he may or may not know how to use that has Win 7 Professional on it... to the land down under to work on some sort of a soil remediation project this coming spring so you're stuck with him and a whole team of others just like him. And... you're stuck with me because I've got his last new computer which I'm supposed to make "usable" for my friend.

Incidentally, I found the classic shell thread quite be accident several days ago and it was a godsend. Thanks to that thread, this laptop does now have a start menu. Have you any other thread suggestions for other good "fixes" that could be applied to this laptop?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:23 AM

Bleeping Computer has an excellent tutorial section devoted to Windows 8 which could help you.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

My other suggestion is to upgrade the Windows 8 computer to Windows 10 which is way better than 8.

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

Bleeping Computer has an excellent tutorial section devoted to Windows 8 which could help you.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

My other suggestion is to upgrade the Windows 8 computer to Windows 10 which is way better than 8.

I agree.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#7 DS&LDB

DS&LDB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

Thank you both so very much for sharing your vote of confidence with me regarding WIN 10. Personally, I'd go back to Win 7 Professional on this laptop if I could. I'm somewhat familiar with that OS and it doesn't seem to try to take control away from me like 8.1 does. It's also a heck of a lot easier using and finding things on a computer running 7 than 8.1. The other issue is I'm reading far too many negative things about WIN 10 that aren't sitting well with me and I'm already uncomfortable enough with the privacy issues that Win 8.1 has. Perhaps some day I'll upgrade... when the OS we have are no longer supported or when computer geniuses find work arounds for all of the concerns I have to date.

editing to add...

Queen-Evie< I found that tutorial section and loved it. I've got at least 7 pages from it bookmarked along with about 15 threads that looked really helpful that I found before I rgistered that I go back to for self-help. That was a great suggestion. Thank you.

Edited by DS&LDB, 18 August 2015 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users