Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 downld icon keeps coming back.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 coaler

coaler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

I have 8.1...Hp pavillion20.

I did download w 10. I didn't like it so went back to 8.1.

Did that ok. I uninstalled the KB3035583...that went ok but

the windows icon keeps coming back on my taskbar.

When a update appears to be downloaded. how do I check the number

of it first to see what it is. I think I might of let it go through last night when

I was shutting down.

]Is this 10 going to keep coming up? Anyway to get rid of it permanently.

I intend to stay with my 8.1 as I don't like 10 and it disabled a lot of my stuff

when I had it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hi coaler :)

When updates are found, you simply have to go in the Windows Update control panel, then click on "X Important/Recommended Updates are available", and it'll list you the updates that you can install. From there, find the KB3035583, right-click on it and select Hide and it shouldn't reappear. If you need to uninstall it, follow the instructions below.

rONW46K.pngUninstall a Windows Update - Command Prompt
Follow the instructions below to uninstall a Windows Update manually via the command prompt.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below (you can copy/paste it, to paste in the command prompt, right-click inside it and select Paste):
    • wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583
  • Let me know the outcome of the command: either it uninstall the update or either it says that the update isn't installed on the system;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

If you want to disable such an annoying ad you can disable it by doing these few steps:

1. Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following path: Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx

2. Create a new REG_DWORD registry value called: DisableGwx

3. Give it a value of: 1

This will block the ad for Windows 10 so it will never show again.

Edited by CodeSmasha, 15 August 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#4 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

Thank you so much. Being not very computer savy at my age I appreciate being able to come in here and get this good, simple advice so quickly. I will do as you say. In reading, finding out many people aren't going to use w 10, at least for awhile until the kinks in it are found.

#5 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

File is gone....now to keep it from coming back again. LOL

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:11 PM

No problem coaler, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:04 AM

Good Luck Coaler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users