Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender access denied: unable to update Defender or to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosWoIf

ChaosWoIf

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

Windows update error code : Code 80240016 (because Windows Defender will not update)

Windows Defender (from program) error code: Code 0x800705b4 (timeout period expired)

Windows Defender Network : successfully able to start in services.msc

Windows Defender Service error code: Code 0x80070005 (access denied)

I am unable to update windows defender or upgrade to windows 10 because of it, I have no other third party malware protection installed, and am unable to start windows defender from the program, the program opens but will not start and am unable to change anything else such as settings.

I have used services.msc to try and start it from there and have had no luck, but the windows defender network seems to start and work ok. YES windows defender service is set to AUTOMATIC

I have removed all malware detected by the full paid version of malwarebytes anti malware before uninstalling it (only trainers for darksouls)

I have used regedit to remove all conflicting registry errors (there were none) also windows defender does not even show up in HKEYLOCAL_MACHINE under microsoft

I have used administrator command promt to run sfc/scannow (no change) a few errors popped up but it said it couldn't get rid of them all.

This is about all i can remember that i have tried, I'm sure there was more i can't think of right now. nothing has helped one bit.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

Are you running an antivirus other than Windows Defender?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ChaosWoIf

ChaosWoIf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

No other antivirus was running at the moment, so that wasn't the problem. I redownloaded Malwarebytes afterwards and just kept it dissabled while i tried fixing the problem yesterday. I also downloaded AVG sometime last night to try and temporarily replace windows defender and see if i could update to windows 10 from there but no luck. the only change i got from downloading AVG is that when i tried to start Defender, instead of it timing out after a few minutes it immediately popped up with an error message saying it cannot start. After removing AVG it goes back to timing out after a few minutes.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

Malwarebytes is an antimalware.  This will not interfere with the Windows Defender.

The immediate solution would be to simply use another free antivirus.  I frequently suggest Avast.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ChaosWoIf

ChaosWoIf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:33 AM

that doesn't solve my problem, I am trying to update to windows 10 and cannot do that unless I can fix windows defender. I have been up for 2 days working on this.

Windows defender is now in regedit, is there a way i can turn it on by changing any of these settings?

Edited by ChaosWoIf, 16 August 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

Call Microsoft.  This is a upgrade issue, they will not charge you to provide you with help.

#7 ChaosWoIf

ChaosWoIf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

thank you, but i have tried that too. do you know the number? every time i try to get in contact the site will not provide me with a number to call and lies when they say they will open a chat for me and tells me to email instead and will not email me back.

last time i actually got in contact with microsoft they pawned me off on guruaid.com so they wouldn't have to deal with my problem. then the people from guru aid hijacked my computer and threatened to wipe everything unless i paid 500 dollars.

Edited by ChaosWoIf, 16 August 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

Microsoft Corporation, Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

#9 ChaosWoIf

ChaosWoIf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

thank you very much

And now we wait :busy: :bananas:

Edited by ChaosWoIf, 16 August 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#10 ChaosWoIf

ChaosWoIf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

Microsoft finally called back after a few hours and spent even longer trying to help and solve this problem. Unfortunately they were baffeled by the error and were unable to help me with it. They pretty much remote accessed my computer after talking me through didn't help and did all the same things i did with no luck. There is no malware keeping Defender from running, no antivirus, no registry errors, and will still not update or run.

I should get a call back from an advanced team in a couple of days. I talked my way out of paying $99 for this so hopefully they can solve my problem.

If anyone else has this annoying problem i will post what they did to fix it if that helps.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

Unfortunately you usually don't get to start with an advanced team member.  Hopefully the advanced team member will be able to sort this out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users