Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No signal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scotty0709

Scotty0709

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:03 PM

Just put a new build together: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Scotty0709/saved/9M4Qzy

However when I switch it on I get no signal on the monitor. Everything else seems to be working: Motherboard lights up, all fans are blowing, optical drive works, LEDs on the keyboard turn on etc. No beep codes either.

The red light under "MemOk" blinks every 2-3 seconds or so, though normally only a continuous red light indicates a problem? (I've tried reseating the RAM & trying each stick separately regardless).

I do get a cycle of several Q Code numbers which seem to repeat themselves. I've looked up the ones which don't go by too quickly:

* 00: Not used
* 21: Memory initization
* 35 & 32: CPU post- memory initization
* 13: Pre-memory CPU initialization is started
* 15: Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started
* 00: Not used

Not sure if the above codes should be going in a continues loop.

I've tried a displayport connection from the GPU to my monitor, HDMI connection from the GPU to a TV, HDMI connection from motherboard to TV & VGA connection from motherboard to an old Dell Monitor (all I have available). Also tried the last two without the GPU installed. Each time there's no signal. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

The codes keep pointing back to the CPU initialization.  I have seen this with external video cards/plugin cards.  The video is not starting and passing the initialization signal to the CPU to start.  When the monitor is on, starting the system, the first screen should be the video BIOS loading to the screen along with its memory count, the the next screen would be the CPU boot and memory count.

#3 Scotty0709

Scotty0709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

The codes keep pointing back to the CPU initialization.  I have seen this with external video cards/plugin cards.  The video is not starting and passing the initialization signal to the CPU to start.  When the monitor is on, starting the system, the first screen should be the video BIOS loading to the screen along with its memory count, the the next screen would be the CPU boot and memory count.

What do you suggest I should do?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

Does this MOBO have on-board video??  Look for a VGA or DVI connector.  Try plugging the monitor into that if present.  Then, power down and pull the video card and try again, while connected to the MOBO connector.  These i7 boards are capable of over 2 GB of video memory onboard.

#5 Scotty0709

Scotty0709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:02 AM

Yeah I tried VGA to an old Dell Monitor & HDMI to a TV using the motherboards connectors, same issue.

Finding it weird as I can't see anything which would be preventing a signal to a display.

Edited by Scotty0709, 16 August 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#6 Scotty0709

Scotty0709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Well I purchased a new set of Ram just to see if bad memory was causing the problem. Unfortunately it didn't make a difference. Ive also tried re-seating the CPU (checked both the CPU & CPU port for any bent pins etc, didn't see any problems), disconnecting all power connectors and pressing the Start button for 30 seconds (seen that suggested elsewhere) and I still have the same issue.

I still find the looping Q Codes strange so I decided to take a video of it to better illustrate what's happening:

I've also taken a few images of the motherboard just in case anyone spots something I may have missed:

What could be causing this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users