Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nasty Adware Keeps reinstalling after using SuperAntiSpyware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samone4

samone4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:35 PM

Hi,

Using SuperAntiSpyware I'm getting a very high and unusual number of adware hits, more than 200 per scan. I keep trying to remove them each day and they are reinstalling. I use both Chrome and Firefox web browsers and Windows 7 is my operating system. I have also tried running Malwarebytes anti-malware and AdwCleaner but no threats were detected. Your help would be greatly appreciated.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hi there,

You might be looking at cookies - SAS detects and remove cookies by default. It explains why they keep returning as cookies are made when you surf to store information about sites you visited.

#3 samone4

samone4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hi..thanks for your response. I think many of them are cookies. What I don't understand is why there has been a surge. I generally clean out the cookies about once a week but usually there are only a few. Maybe I surfed too far for the beaten path? Will cookies reinstall once removed or do would I need to go back to the same page? Just curious.  But if its only cookies I guess that is ok. Thanks again.   

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hi there,

Cookies by nature are small pieces of text stored on the computer for websites to remember things that you did on the sites before. So most (if not all) sites drop cookies on your machine when you visit them.

There is no point clearing them out to be honest, unless there are some specific problems that require cleaning out cookies or you need to wipe your personal data for some reason.

#5 samone4

samone4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

ok...got it. I appreciate your help in understanding the issue.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:03 PM

You are welcome :)

Some tips for preventing malware infections before we depart:

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users