Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"CPU isn't supported"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flashh4

flashh4

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

Hey gang i have a friend who got this message "CPU isn't supported" when they tried to upgrade to W10. We tried the Media Creation Tool and it came back with "You can't install Windows 10 because your processor doesn't support CompareExchange128". So where do i send her from here ?? Read some articles that says MS will change their download requirments later to allow everyone to download, not sure i'm believing that !!

Anyone got any suggestions for a work around on those messages above ???

Running W7

Thanks

Chuck

Edited by flashh4, 15 August 2015 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

Hi flashh4 :)

Do you know what CPU your friend have?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

Aura, she said its a Pentium® Dual-Core CPU. E5300 @ 2.60 GHz

Chuck

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

What version of Windows is he running? Windows 7, 8 or 8.1?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

Aura, i posted in my topic ...... W7 ........ i read there is a patch to fix this problem by downloading  For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 systems, the patch is KB2976978; for Windows 7 SP1 systems, the patch is KB2952664. ! But i can't find a download for W7 patch ! I know how to have her comp search for updates which might find it but looking for a direct link for the download !

Your thoughts please ???

Thanks

Chuck

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

Oups my bad. That might be it.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2015/05/windows6.1-kb2952664-v10-x64_6cb844c61ff4a77098ee895e0f2904d494ff5d24.msu

But this might not be the latest version. So I would go with Windows Update first.

Edited by Aura, 15 August 2015 - 07:49 PM.

unite_blue.png

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hope you don't mind me chiming in, Aura.  I understand it's an issue affecting 64 bit Windows 8.1 and 10.  The 64bit versions require the CPU to have support for CMPXCHG16B, PREFETCHW and LAHF/SAHF instructions.  The Pentium E5300 does support CMPXCHG16B and LAHF/SAHF at the CPU level, according to CPU World.  I'm not totally sure on PREFETCHW.  The newer Core iX series do support it.  Discussion here on superuser.com.

There is a utility from Microsoft Sysinternals: coreinfo that checks your CPU's capabilities.  Run it and check that these instructions are supported by the CPU.  If not then I think you are out of luck.

A possibility I have read of while researching this is that the BIOS could be disabling some of the CPU features.  You could try

- Updating the BIOS, if a new version is available

- If no BIOS update available you could try resetting the BIOS to default values and/or...

- See if the BIOS contains any reference to enabling or disabling CompareExchange128 or CMPXCHG16B (I've never seen it in a BIOS, but it's possible). NX/XD Bit also need to be enabled for Windows 10.  I understand LAHF/SAHF are part of Intel's VT-x feature so enable this also.

And if all else fails...

- Use a 32 bit version instead (it's not possible to in place upgrade from a 64bit W7 to 32bit W10). You'd probably have to start from a clean 32bit install of Windows 7.

An issue some running Windows 8 x64 on older hardware ran into was that they couldn't update to 8.1, because of these new requirements for additional CPU capabilities.  Just tough luck I guess, although it is unfortunate for those running Windows 8 as MS requires an upgrade to 8.1 for continued critical updates.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Aura as usual you have given me something to go on !

Jonuk76, most of what you reported i agree with, i did the research also last week & came up with a lot of what you posted. I will see if she wants to change/check the bios and check the updates to see if she has the correct ones installed. Then we will go from there !

I appreciate the time you guys spend helping people ! I am a Malware Fighter @ BestTechie for 12 years but don't do much work on apps & system settings !!

Again ....Thanks !

Chuck

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

No problem Chuck, you're welcome! Make sure that if she updates the BIOS, she does it properly because if the update fail, she'll scrap a motherboard.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users