Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No trust in Google - says Firefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zachry

Zachry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

Hi there, my Firefox probably was hijacked. I cannot reach Google anymore (https://www.google.at/). When trying this I receive the message »Dieser Verbindung wird nicht vertraut« (approximately: »we don’t trust in this connection«).

My System: OS: Windows 8.1; Firefox 40.0.2;

Initially there was much more trouble in the form of popping-up advertisement windows at each mouse click on a link, but fortunately I could get rid oft it by using Kaspersky Internet Security, Adwcleaner 4.208 and HijackThis 205. Each tool found some malware I thus could remove. So the Google-problem is the only identifiable remaining at the moment.

My system time is adjusted correctly (because a divergence hereof is discussed as a cause of similar problems in the net). Moreover I reinstalled Firefox but without any success.

Perhaps someone here knows a smart solution without setting up the computer from the bottom; that would be nice. Thank you for your help!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 August 2015 - 01:29 PM.
Moved to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

To completely clean Firefox it would be necessary to delete your Firefox profile. If after reinstalling Firefox and you still had your old bookmarks and other settings then the profile was not deleted.

Uninstall Firefox and then you can do a file search for Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox and Firefox....delete all.... and that should remove your profile.

Use the programs below to find more adware and remove.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here
Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • If potential threats are detected, ensure that Quarantine is selected as the Action for all the listed items, and click the Apply Actions button.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Zachry

Zachry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

Thank you for this very detailed and funktional appearing answer within a narrow time frame! Yet another process-related problem ocurred in workin through your problem solution list:

I uninstalled Firefox. Then after a library lookup for *mozilla* I noticed that Thunderbird files are included as well, so I also unistalled Thunderbird preventively. - So far, so good ...

But when I tried to delete the *mozilla*-files, some remained undeleted because of a lack of access privileges. A dialog box entitled »Dateizugriff wurde verweigert« (approx. in english: »file access denied«) appeared.

(this should be a screenshot of the box ... if the image upload via URL was successful ...)

Again I tried to solve that problem via online search but unsuccessfully - a boring topic that occurres frequently and remaines unsolved because I know far too little about that part of the system and it's significance. The main problem in following the statements of the tutorials: There ist no »Besitzer« (engl. »Owner«) tab in the dialog box »Erweiterte Sicherheitseinstellungen« (engl. »extended security settings«) where I should make the modifications (?)!

(another screenshot ...)

There are two undeleted files called »mozilla browser« (each 2 KB) in the directories

»C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_netfx-aspnet_regbrowser_files_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_6.3.9600.16384_none_8c11719b8fd01c80« and

»C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_netfx-aspnet_regbrowser_files_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_6.3.9600.16384_none_44643ac47b53f37a«

both withe the Windows Explorer note »(C:\Windows\WinSxS)«.

I think, if I could sucessfully get the user permission for deleting these files I would be able to manage the rest likewise and continue cleaning the computer. The dialog box says: »Sie muessen die erforderlichen Berechtigungen von "SYSTEM" erhalten um Aenderungen an dieser Datei durchfuehren zu koennen.« (approx. in english: »You have to receive the required privileges from "SYSTEM" to be able to alternate this file.«)

Can you please give me a hint how I could get the necessary access privileges from »SYSTEM« to proceed? - Thanks in advance!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

Proceed with running the three programs. No need to delete those two files.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Zachry

Zachry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Firefox works again quite impeccable after cured according to your suggested therapy.

Thank you once more!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users