Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I prevent windows 10 from downloading ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

I have Windows 8.1 home edition on a Lenovo H515, with an AMD GPU. I decided after trying Windows 10 I did not want it because of thee issues with settings being broken and finally got my pc back to its original OS two days later. I cannot do any updates now without 10 trying to download with them. What can I disable to stop it so that I can go back to getting my updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

Hi DragonLady :)

First, did you uninstall the KB3035583 and hid the Windows 10 Upgrade update in the list of available updates?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

I think it uninstalled. I tried that yesterday and I left my pc as it took a long time to uninstall, there was a storm last night so it may have caused a problem when the power went out. I found the update in the list and clicked uninstall. I hope it works.

Edited by Dragonlady24, 15 August 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

Alright, let me know how it goes :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

It stopped when there was 10% left and would not go any farther. I left it for over 3 hours.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

What stopped? The Windows 10 upgrade download via Windows Update?

unite_blue.png

#7 TomH49

TomH49

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

Even if 10 downloads, I don't think it will install without you telling it to.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

Once the Windows 10 upgrade is downloaded on a system, Windows will notify you about it and ask you if you want to install it now, or at a later date. So you can delay it until you're ready.

unite_blue.png

#9 Article_86

Article_86

• Banned
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hi DragonLady :)

First, did you uninstall the KB3035583 and hid the Windows 10 Upgrade update in the list of available updates?

I remember that there was an 'update' (prior to the KB3035583 debacle) where MS wanted to scan my PC for driver information "... in preparation for a new Windows offering and to ensure a smooth transition ...".  I thought it harmless, even a smart thing to do, but now we know better.  I got wise to what they were planning and had no part of the Win 10 trial and hid the KB3035583 update.  Does anyone know the KB# of that driver-scan update"  I still think about it ... and shiver.  I have NVidia drivers everywhere and you know what that means.

- Art

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

I think it's the KB2952664 for Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664

unite_blue.png

#11 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:35 PM

@Aura the uninstall of kb3035583 stops when 10% is left. It will not go any further. As for downloading Windows 10 I do not get an option to decide when I can download it. It will happen when i restart my pc. I already tried 10 anyways and hate how it won't work on my PC, nor do I ever want it as I am happy with my current OS. What I am asking is for it to not download at all when I do updates. How would I hide it if i could get the update uninstalled?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

When you check for Windows Update, you'll see "X Important/Recommended Updates available". Simply click on it, then find the KB3035583, right-click on it and select "Hide". Then you won't see it being proposed again.

unite_blue.png

#13 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:42 PM

The issue is that update 3035583 is still installed and won't uninstall at all. How do I hide it if it won't uninstall? Or can I not hide it?

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

It's possible that the update installation has been damaged and requires to be repaired first. Sadly I cannot provide that kind of assistance on BleepingComputer just wait (Windows Update). If you really need, you can go on Sysnative where I'll assist you.

unite_blue.png

#15 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

It seems possible after all I had to use the command prompt for me to use f12 and get windows 8.1 back. I did a sfc /scannow the day after I restored it to 8.1 and DISM checkhealth, scanhealth and ... cannot remember offhand the third one. It did not seem to fix all of the issues but the broken task scheduler and the few errors I was receiving after thee downgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users