Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Open Microsoft Store and other tiles

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ryrhino

ryrhino

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

Windows 8.1 64bit is my OS.
I recently did a system refresh.
Since doing the system refresh I am unable to open Microsoft store. I did all the steps from this http://windowsinstructed.com/troubleshoot-windows-store-issues/

Here are the results of running the cmd from method 3 of the above article

Attached File  2015-08-15 09_00_09-Administrator_ Command Prompt.png   20.4KB   0 downloads

I don't know what anything in the cmd window means. 

I then went to this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows8_1-update/troubleshooting-component-store-system-files/8acbd614-678d-42b9-859c-56d3e6f8342a
this link was on the previous article. I did a sfc scan and the result was windows did not find any integrity violations. The article said that if I got that result to try step 2 or ask a professional for help. I didn't run the DISM scan. Do you think I should run it?
On my apps screen by the Microsoft store tile the word error appears. I also have error by a lot of other titles too many tiles to list. I don't know if that information will help to solve the issue.
When I click on the store title it blinks for a few seconds then disappears.
On the start screen there is a white circle with a black X in the lower right corner of the tile.  This circle is also on many other of the tiles. 
When I clicked on the black X I got the following pop up: This app can't open. There's a problem with the apps name is here contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it.  How do I repair or reinstall apps?

The same issue happens when I try to open pc settings.

How do I get the tiles to open?

Thanks for your help.  

Edited by ryrhino, 15 August 2015 - 09:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChaosWoIf

ChaosWoIf

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Something seems to be corrupt, Have you had any updates lately? if so try installing them again. is it possible to try an update from the controll pannel? If this doesn't do the trick i would try to contact microsoft about this. I can't think of anything that would cause this issue, besides maybe a start menue replacement but I don't think that is the case.

#3 ChaosWoIf

ChaosWoIf

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

If all else fails, try this

1)go to your startup menu and right click on any icon and it';; take you to the file location.
2)Keep this folder open and now press window+R and type in "%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" Without quotation marks.
3) keep these two folders open.
4) Not go to the first folder where it lists all the shortcuts icons.
5) Look for "PC SETTINGS" icon, it should be a blue icon.
6) Copy that and past it on the other programs folder.
7) Once that's done open search bar and look for the same icon "PC Settings"
8) Now right click on it and click on the "Pin to start"

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

Another to try is the Apps Troubleshooter.

The download will automatically start the download when you click/tap on the link above.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

The apps troubleshooter gives me the error that I don't have a Microsoft account when I run it. I also do have a Microsoft account on this pc and am unable to open the store and other tiles. 

Edited by ryrhino, 16 August 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#6 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

If all else fails, try this

1)go to your startup menu and right click on any icon and it';; take you to the file location.
2)Keep this folder open and now press window+R and type in "%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" Without quotation marks.
3) keep these two folders open.
4) Not go to the first folder where it lists all the shortcuts icons.
5) Look for "PC SETTINGS" icon, it should be a blue icon.
6) Copy that and past it on the other programs folder.
7) Once that's done open search bar and look for the same icon "PC Settings"
8) Now right click on it and click on the "Pin to start"

It does not take me to file location if I right click on one of the tiles.  The options I get from right click are unpin from start, uninstall, resize

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

You may have to create another account.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

I am unable to create another account. 

When I type in users in search and then add delete manage other accounts

I get this pop up 

Attached File  2015-08-16 09_13_52-C__Users_Ryan_AppData_Local_Packages_windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.png   9.71KB   0 downloads

I am unable to open pcsettings to try to create another account. It is the same issue as trying to open the store or other tiles.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

See if any of the suggestions to delete your account work for you here.

#10 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

I have not done so but do you think that running this software http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html  might help resolve the issues I am having?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:43 PM

I had thought of that earlier.

Windows Repair (All in one)

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).

Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system. 

When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  then Repairs and Settings.  2. through 4. are optional.

Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is impotant and not optional.

tweak1_zps5460eb3e.png

Step 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.

tweak2_zpse9b74c2d.png

Step 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.

tweak3_zps6ebd559a.png

Step 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).

tweak4_zps314fabc4.png

Step 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.
Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.

tweak5_zps1f8cef34.png

Repairs.  Click on Start

tweak6_zps104a9f0c.png

You will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs  

repairsa_zpsd14077e8.png

When the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to Settings

Settings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.

tweak7_zps277d4e41.png  

Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.

tweak8_zps7d30ed30.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users