Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot alternative method ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dino2014

dino2014

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

I did a dual boot Windows and Ubuntu a couple of years ago but did run in to some trouble with the boot manager when restoring my drive C which I regularly backup up as a complete system image.

Since then I have not used Linux, but am looking to give it a proper try again,  rather than using slowish usb sticks.

To avoid such problems I wondered if this method would work ?

My system is  a i3 4170 , Asrock mobo, 4gb ram  W 8.1 32 bit and I now have a SSD dedicated as Drive C for W 8.1 and the old HDD as drive D, E,F for data files( drive D currently empty)

Was thinking of installing Linux on drive D, but instead of dual booting ,  connecting a switch  on the SSD / Drives C power line, so when I boot it will go to whichever is the first device powered on  eg windows if drive C is powered, Linux on drive D if not.

Will Linux install /boot ok from a drive labelled D ? and when running Windows will it see drive D,E and F ok ?

Am also deciding  between distros  - Mint or Federo seem to be interesting over Ubuntu, any suggestions  ?

In for a penny   - despite looking around the forums last time, the old question about should I be running AV and  FW  under Linux never seemed to be clearly answered.  Have things become clearer, and in which way  ??

thanks

Edited by dino2014, 15 August 2015 - 11:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

Linux does not care at all what letter your drive is. You can dual boot it on the D drive but you will need to use software like EasyBCD on Windows to make sure it appears on a boot menu. Since Linux uses a different partition type than Windows, you will not be able to see drive D from Windows but you will be able to see drives E and F. Lastly, if I had a choice between Mint or Fedora, I would choose Mint. :)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:46 AM

you will need to use software like EasyBCD on Windows to make sure it appears on a boot menu

Thats what I wanted to avoid by using a power switch idea  ,because even EasyBCD could not correct the problems I had before, had to reinstall windows.

Any thoughts on the AV/FW question ?

thanks

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

you will need to use software like EasyBCD on Windows to make sure it appears on a boot menu

Thats what I wanted to avoid by using a power switch idea  ,because even EasyBCD could not correct the problems I had before, had to reinstall windows.

Any thoughts on the AV/FW question ?

thanks

Antivirus is a moot point in linux, it doesnt need antivirus

As for a firewall, most distros have in built ones, iptables the built in one is more then enough as is UFW and needs no interaction from the end user.

As for using linux in a "D" drive no linux doesnt interact with windows that way, windows by default cannot read linux partitions so you need third party software.

However linux can read and write NTFS natively, giving linux an advantage

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

Was thinking of installing Linux on drive D, but instead of dual booting ,  connecting a switch  on the SSD / Drives C power line, so when I boot it will go to whichever is the first device powered on  eg windows if drive C is powered, Linux on drive D if not.

Using the switch idea should work. Linux will use its bootloader from D drive ( or what ever you name it  ) And Windows will use its own bootloader.

As for a firewall, most distros have in built ones, iptables the built in one is more then enough as is UFW and needs no interaction from the end user.

Distros like Ubuntu do not have Firewall enabled by default.

To enable it open terminal and type.

sudo ufw enable

#6 dino2014

dino2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:00 PM

Thanks all, have Windows on the SSD and Mint on the HDD, no need for a switch on the SSDs power line, I can just select which system to boot from by using the F11 key / Boot Menu during Power Up or Restart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users