Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help activating legit Windows 7 after re-install...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bramish

Bramish

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

Hi,

Just re-installed my bought copy of Windows 7 but need to activate it and I can't find the box with the product key. I tried Belarc Advisor but not sure where to look for the key with that. Tried Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder - but get the following message when I try to input the key that gives me:

"The product key you have entered appears to be a default product key and cannot be used for activation. Type a different Windows 7 Home Premium product key."

Any advice please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:34 AM

Try produkey.....

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Download button will be towards bottom of page

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Bramish

Bramish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

Cheers. Tried that. Gives me the same product key I can't use.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:44 AM

The whole activation/product keys complexities is a bit beyond me.....simply because i have never had to deal with it....

Did you have the service pack installed prior to reinstalling...?

In other words if you had 7.1 before.....you need to have 7.1 now

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:54 AM

If you have a legal Win 7 DVD...the key comes with the packaging.

If you installed using that DVD and used that key, then you need to use that key to activate that install.

If you have an OEM system which you effectively wiped by doing a clean install...that OEM key no longer applies to the current install made using a retail purchased copy of Win 7.

I'd say that your best alternative is to do phoe activation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users