Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get 4 GB of ram to work together.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mykel99

Mykel99

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:41 AM

Attached File  specs.PNG   45.66KB   0 downloads

Hello everyone. I have a Gateway GT-5662 desktop running with 3GB of ram. The specs on this model says that it can use up to 4GB of ram. My problem is that when I insert the fourth ram stick, something goes wrong. Sometimes the computer won't load Windows 7 or it loads and then freezes. I have used each ram stick by itself and the computer started fine. With 3GB of ram it works fine. But the fourth... I have Windows 7 64 bit installed and the ram is Samsung 2Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12-E3. All four are the same. Do I have to do something in the bios to get the 4th stick to work with the others?    Thank you for your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

It might be defective slot. Have you tried testing the fourth slot alone with some RAM?

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

You might check your BIOS settings.  When  the computer boots up you'll have to hold (some key - the delete or some function key, you can google it. it's by motherboard) to take you into the BIOS menu if you aren't familiar.  That all 3 sticks are independently good is a good sign.  The most likely thing is some setting you have to change so your motherboard knows you're running x64 instead of 32 (which only registers 3 GB).  If you had the chance to try 2 sticks of 2 GB each would be nice to see if it's the 4th memory channel in your motherboard that has a problem or if the problem is it's going above 3GB (even 1 stick of 4GB would work).  If your system lets you, you could try 1 stick in the first slot and 1 stick in the 4th slot, or a stick in slots 2 and 4(though a lot of boards don't like that, so it may fail just on that.)  You might also see if there's a dual channel setting to turn on or off or hyperthreading to turn on/off.

Just thoughts... good luck.

hmmmm.... correction... I just checked your computer specs, and it appears from what I read your computer won't support over 1GB per slot.  if that's so, then you can only check by trying a 1GB in several slots but not going over 3GB total... so put a 1 GB stick in say slot 1,2,4 and see if it works fine. (that way you're at 3GB). as well as what leithanne mentioned about mixing up new and old and seeing if they play well.

Edited by LFos42, 15 August 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:55 PM

Sometimes even seemingly identical sticks don't work together. Unless you bought a kit of 4, that was tested to work together, it may just be that the old sticks just don't want to play nice with the new guy.

#5 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Thank you for your answers. First I'm going to try the bios option. Then I'm going to try resetting the ram sticks like suggested. I previously tried 4 1Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12-ZZ which I bought together, but those didn't work either. I thought about buying 2 2GB ram sticks but I wasn't sure if it would work. ( I was trying to go the cheap route first). For now I'm going to try the bios and then it's on to the ram sticks. I'll post back as soon as I find an answer.      Thanks everyone!

#6 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

Well, I went through every setting in the bios and I can't see where I can change the bios so the computer realizes that I'm using a 64 bit OS. Hmmm. Let's see if the internet knows something.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#8 qapdoede

qapdoede

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:48 AM

You might also see if there's a dual channel setting to turn on or off or hyperthreading to turn on/off.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

Did you try each RAM slot individually as well as each stick?  How is the 3Gb configured now?  2x1Gb + 2x512Mb or 3x1Gb?

Well, I went through every setting in the bios and I can't see where I can change the bios so the computer realizes that I'm using a 64 bit OS. Hmmm. Let's see if the internet knows something.

I'm not sure you would find a setting like that.  Although 32 bit desktop Windows can only work with less than 4Gb RAM, some other 32bit OS which support PAE (physical address extensions) can use much more.

I have come across some motherboards/chipsets which had special requirements when fully populated with memory.  For example, some require the memory to be run at a lower speed with 4 DIMMs compared to 2 DIMMs, e.g. DDR2-667 instead of 800mhz or 1066mhz.  It appears from your screenshot you already have it set to 667mhz though.  I doubt it would need to be run at 533mhz (next step down), but you could try.  I don't know what BIOS options you have altogether but if there is anything like a "memory performance optimisation" setting, set it to "standard" rather than enhanced or turbo or anything similar.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

I have an older Gateway 5464. Mobo is Intel DG 965OT I use Corsair DDR2 PC2 4300u  (4-4-4-12) I am not sure if it is 533 or not? Hope this might help you?

On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#11 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

Thank you for your answers. I went into the bios and change the settings for "optimized settings". I installed the 4 ram sticks one at a time in different patterns until the computer booted properly. And the computer worked for about an 90 minutes. And then the BSOD came up. Damn! The next day I used the computer for about an hour and then it froze. Damn! I went ahead and did the MemTest and the computer ran for 2 and a half hours with no problems. The test showed no errors in the ram memory. But later on it froze again. Maybe it was on too long. Today it took me two times to boot up because of freezing problems. With respects to dual channel and hyperthreading, I don't see anything like that in the bios. The bios is limited to what I can do with ram memory. And of course I am using 4 1GB ram sticks right now. Here is a screen shot with the all 4 sticks working. (Yeah right.)   Now I can't find the button to insert the screenshot. Damn!

#12 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

Ok. Now I found it.Attached File  sprcs 2.PNG   52.59KB   0 downloads

#13 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

One thing I notice is that your memory clock speeds are really low.  I checked the specs on this board and the lowest is 400 MHz, going up to 800 MHz (some revisions of it put the minimum clock speed at 533 MHz).  It seems you can upgrade both the memory speed and the processor (if you are so inclined).  I don't know your BIOS type/revision, and I understand it runs fine with less than a full house of memory.  But you might try bumping up the speed of your memory (don't necessarily need to change it out, just increase the Memory clock speed in the BIOS).  Strangely, I couldn't find this Mobo on the ECS site  so the specs I saw could be less accurate.

But hey, you could just try it - it might help.

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

One thing I notice is that your memory clock speeds are really low.  I checked the specs on this board and the lowest is 400 MHz, going up to 800 MHz (some revisions of it put the minimum clock speed at 533 MHz).  It seems you can upgrade both the memory speed and the processor (if you are so inclined).  I don't know your BIOS type/revision, and I understand it runs fine with less than a full house of memory.  But you might try bumping up the speed of your memory (don't necessarily need to change it out, just increase the Memory clock speed in the BIOS).  Strangely, I couldn't find this Mobo on the ECS site  so the specs I saw could be less accurate.

But hey, you could just try it - it might help.

Remember with DDR memory, the effective clock speed is twice the actual clock rate - so the speed shown is consistent with DDR2-667

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the last 2 answers. If I could bump up the the speed of the memory, I would. I looked in every section of my bios and did not see that option. I have 3 screenshots that I am going to upload. Maybe someone will see something that I can change in the bios to keep this computer more consistent. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files

• Attached File  mobo.PNG   115.92KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  cpu.PNG   31.93KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  ram.PNG   30.26KB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users