Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now have Windows 10 on my desktop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 carbuff

carbuff

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

My frustration about not being able to upgrade to Windows 10 through the published ways got the better of me.  Since all attempts ended in failure, I decided to format my primary SSD and install the OEM disc of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.  I did so yesterday.

The format and install went smoothly.  I then went to the Microsoft web site and brought down Windows 10 Professional directly to my SSD.  It too went smoothly.

The job of installing all of my software program discs took time but in the end, I now have Windows 10 on my desktop with all of the software programs that I wish to have installed.

I did an image on one HDD located in a USB Hub cabled to the desktop and a backup of my software programs on another HDD located on a second USB Hub.

This morning, I powered up and things looks operational.  However, when I attempted to enter the program menu using the startup icon, I could not enter as the icon would not activate.

I would appreciate assistance on this problem.

Best to all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:55 AM

Hey, carbuff, I'm happy for you.. so now the next conundrum to be solved.  Yet, what do you mean by the startup icon?  You mean the foursquare thingy in the lower left corner?  Where the Start button used to be?  If 'yes', what's supposed to happen is you click there once, and a not-like-the-old-Start-menu semblance of a menu pops up, the right half being preset tiles, and the left hand being a vertical version of the 8.1 Start Menu.

And nothing happened when you clicked the lower left corner?  Or do you mean something else?

Also check to see if your mouse is fully plugged in, and if you're using a touchpad instead, many report they need to update their Alps drivers (though I didn't have to).  Could also be some conflict between SSD and mouse or a lag due to SSD connection -- Aura has an SSD, and he can help with that.

Edited by brainout, 15 August 2015 - 02:57 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:22 AM

What happens if you right click the start button ?

Are you signing in to a local account or your microsoft account at startup ?

Edited by Condobloke, 15 August 2015 - 03:25 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 carbuff

carbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:25 AM

Guess what?   That four square icon at the bottom left of the screen suddenly turned from blue to white and is now operative.

The mystery of Windows 10 continues.

Thanks for your reply's.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:28 AM

lolll......and someone had the audacity to say that win 10 is not buggy !!!

I am really glad that your frustration has abated !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

Carbuff, the SSDs might have a lot to do with it.  I've noticed in each new version of Windows, the last two years' technological advancements, are not well supported by the new version.    Aura reported problems with his SSDs, and so have folks in wilderssecurity and ten forums.  I didn't read all the Amazon reviews, yet.

Glad it's working now, though!

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 carbuff

carbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

Thank you brainout.  I think you are correct.

My experience with SSD technology is limited.  However, I do have Crucial and Samsung SSD units on different laptop and desktop computers.   For whatever reason, and I am sure there are many variables, the Samsung seem to be more erratic than the Crucial.

Installing W10 onto my desktop equipped with a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD was quite difficult.  I did not encounter any problems with the Crucial MX100 512GB SSD onto Laptops.

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:32 PM

Okay, carbuff: well that's helpful information for others in BC, to know perhaps the brand of SSD will make a difference.  In all the many reviews of installation problems I've read, the folks having the most problems use Sony, Toshiba, Samsung machines or drives.  Why?  Probably because those companies use proprietary drivers and Windows 10 is all about Borg'ing everything.  Same drivers for all.  You do get an option ex post facto to install proprietary drivers, but people who do that find later updates trash them.  It's one of the ongoing fights over Windows 10.

Frankly, this is normal.  Usually when a new WinOS comes out, the first year folks installing, have many problems.  After that some kind of cumulative update gets released and the problems cease. Has been true ever since Win98.  They used to be called 'service packs' and with XP there needed to be three of them before the OS became stable.  With Vista I believe there had to be 2, and with Win7, only 1.  With Win8 there had to be several, and Win10 is supposed to be cumulative every time there is a new patch, now in the third cumulative update as of yesterday (or Friday, forget which).

So keep your proprietary driver names and files handy, if you find you need them.

This is one other reason I stick with Dell.  It has proprietary drivers, but I don't have to use them, to make Windows work.  I'd rather have a machine that is perhaps less-than-current versus the latest and best, because if spit happens, it happens to me.  :bubbles:

For example, right now I'm typing on my XP machine, because my main Win7 machine is crashing due to Windows updates.  For Win7.  So I'm rolling back the updates in batches, to see which one is hanging up Firefox and borking Windows Explorer at the same time.  I have turned updates off, and the last six made manually on 7/18 are ruining the machine.  The other machines didn't get those updates, and now won't.  After removal, Firefox can actually load now, and doesn't put the whole OS into a hang.  Why when I'm on the latest Firefox, I've no idea.  But the problem started on 7/18, just after the updates were installed. And it's still not solved. That's why I'm in BC so much, some other machine is being fixed while I park here and wait for it to notify me of whatever is the next step; for in my case, there's always a software conflict, not a driver problem. :smash:

So I'm glad you got your installations to finally work!  Hope your updates keep your machine as you want it!

Edited by brainout, 16 August 2015 - 12:43 PM.

#9 carbuff

carbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

brainout, I appreciate your posts.   They are informative and have helped me to learn about Windows 10.

Guess it goes to prove that old dogs CAN learn new tricks.

The first Dell I had was just after Michael Dell came out with his imported PC.  It was a simple machine but opened up a vast world to me that has seemed magical ever since.

I am confident that in time the bugs and idiosyncrasies of W10 will be solved and that this OS will stand alongside of W7 as one of the best yet,. 

#10 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

carbon if you are happy with your new OS thats all that counts regardless of what others have experienced so enjoy and good luck.  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users