Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I uninstall Cortana?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 satva

satva

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:01 AM

I am not a fan of Cortana because of the privacy concerns and I prefer Braina assistant. I have already disabled Cortana on my laptop by following this tutorial : http://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-cortana-task-bar-windows-10 . How can I remove Cortana completely from my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

You cant uninstall it. The most you can do is disable it.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:47 PM

It is integrated into Windows 10 and cannot be uninstalled.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 satva

satva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

Its disappointing that we can't uninstall Cortana. I have read somewhere that Microsoft still sends data from your computer to their servers even if we have disabled Cortana.

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

I am not a fan of Cortana because of the privacy concerns and I prefer Braina assistant. I have already disabled Cortana on my laptop by following this tutorial : http://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-cortana-task-bar-windows-10 . How can I remove Cortana completely from my laptop?

It won't send your information to anyone if you don't use it. Well removing it may screw up Windows since it's integrated into it. Just disable it or don't use it.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#6 cortanaHater

cortanaHater

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

i think everyone is missing the point here.  there is something on my laptop i dont like, that sucks memory and disk space even tho it has been disabled and i cant remove it.  like a virus or malware.  isnt that the definition? something someone else put on my rig that i didnt ask for and that i cant remove? that negatively affects my rig and puts my privacy in jeopardy? microsoft is beating around the bush about telling us we cant remove it in hopes that we will join the club and use it.  its ridiculous.  perhaps the threat of a law suit will make them figure out how to get this junk off my rig.

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:15 AM

There are lots of things in Windows you can't remove.  I don't like Cortana either, but if you're going to fret over things you can't remove, you're going to be an extremely frustrated person.  It gets worse in the future.  With Insider build 14328 that just came out yesterday, you can't even disable it, at least nobody has found a way to.  The circle we click on in the release version (10586.218 currently) is gone in 14328.  If MS doesn't change it before releasing it to the version most folks have, we'll be unable to even disable it.  Ain't that a fine kettle of fish!   :flame:

Edited by Niweg, 23 April 2016 - 11:17 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

I think that there's another OS out there somewhere.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

Cortana is the worse thing ever happen to Microsoft Windows OS as i have come a cross so many people suffering with Cortana not working and not showing results of search my laptop has this issue i repair it once now its back so is my friend some how every month or so Cortana for some reason stop working and the Start Menu i have repaired my friend issue with Cortana many times and again today he told me same issue with Cortana and Start Menu not working come back Microsoft i think sleeping or went to holiday because this issue seem to be never be patch.

Edited by FreeBooter, 23 April 2016 - 03:37 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

i think everyone is missing the point here.  there is something on my laptop i dont like, that sucks memory and disk space even tho it has been disabled and i cant remove it.  like a virus or malware.  isnt that the definition? something someone else put on my rig that i didnt ask for and that i cant remove? that negatively affects my rig and puts my privacy in jeopardy? microsoft is beating around the bush about telling us we cant remove it in hopes that we will join the club and use it.  its ridiculous.  perhaps the threat of a law suit will make them figure out how to get this junk off my rig.

Or not? Cortana is part of the OS. It's like saying "I don't use IPv6 on my OS and I want to remove it, why can't I? It's Microsoft's fault for not letting me remove an official networking protocol on my system".

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

Want to see something interesting?  49,209 people on the Microsoft insider forum have read through this thread with 186 replies, almost all saying how much they dislike Cortana.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_cortana/how-do-i-uninstall-cortana/164a572c-4f26-424c-92c6-ccee6373af9f

If you read through that thread, you'll see why "resistance is futile" as the Borg used to say in Star Trek.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#12 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:28 AM

Niweg: LOL, that was a nice read...

This thread (first post) shows how to remove Cortana (and related crap)!

But remember that whatever you do on Windows 10 it's only valid until the next mandatory update/upgrade. If you're lucky the next update/upgrade will reset some settings, if you're unlucky it will break your system and you can reset it yourself...

I feel pity for people who THINK they need Windows 10...  :huh:

Greets!

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

Or not? Cortana is part of the OS. It's like saying "I don't use IPv6 on my OS and I want to remove it, why can't I? It's Microsoft's fault for not letting me remove an official networking protocol on my system".

Precisely.  You don't, and haven't, seen this kind of complaint regarding IE11, Edge, or any other OS component.  You can easily, very, very easily, turn the "personal digital assistant" functionality of Cortana off and never know it exists:  I have.  The Cortana process that's a part of Windows search still has to run, but has a feather light footprint.

People need to understand that you can't, and won't, always get what you (for any you) want when it comes to OS architecture when it comes to any OS.  You don't get to pick and choose what the OS uses as essential processes and components - the OS designers do.  'Twas ever thus.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users