Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU readings have changed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

Around 5 days ago I noticed my CPU was running cooler so says Core Temp and HWMonitor. Doing the same thing with games and programs the cores of my i7 4930k are running around 8 degrees cooler. At first I thought it was great, but in Core Temp the Tj. Max dropped from 95c to 90c. How is this possible? Isn't the Tj Max built into the hardware? What I've also noticed is the wattage for the CPU is increased by 20-25 watts when doing the same stuff I do everyday. I ran an Intel Test on my CPU and all cores running at 100% the Temp was 66c and the wattage was 126, 3 degrees below the TDP so it seems everything is working fine.

It has been eating at me for 5 days now what could cause such a change after 6 months of normal running. Only suggestion I heard was from tech support saying maybe the cooler a Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System might have not been working correctly since it was installed 6 months ago, but now it is. Would that change the Tj Max? This is the 3rd cooler I've had in this PC, the first 2 starting dying after 6-7 months. So I'm a bit scared it could be happening again. Thanks for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

I don't know why the TJ Max would change by itself.  I have some software that can change it on demand (RealTemp) but TBH I've never had the inclination to mess with it.  You might want to check on a more overclocking orientated forum if no-one can answer here..  Reported wattage change by such a large degree is pretty weird though.  Have the CPU power saving settings (C1E etc) been changed?  BIOS lost it's settings?  Is the processor multiplier changing with load or is it continuously at full speed?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:27 PM

The Wattage change is only when the CPU is with a heavy load, when idle the temp is the same it was before. I haven't changed anything, I didn't touch the bios. The Multiplier changes with load. It's at 1199.85MHz (99.99 x 12.0) when idle. I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and passed all the tests. Only thing I did the day it started doing this was installed the latest Windows Update and rebooted.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

I'm afraid I haven't got any answers for that.  It doesn't make a lot of sense as increased power consumption would theoretically increase temperatures rather than reduce them, as you are seeing.  Puzzling.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 SuicideRUN

SuicideRUN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:32 AM

Well thanks for offering some ideas. I've searched the web and no one knows why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users