Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optional Updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

I am new to the world of Windows, and am helping a friend out with his pc.  I got it all setup and malware clean, but don't know for sure what Optional Updates I should install.  Can anyone advise me as at least what NOT to install?  This is what I got.  I should mention, that I just re-installed his OS via. the Recovery Partition, so all is new and probably out of date.  All M.S. Updates have been done.  I use a Logitec Mouse so I think I want that, and, they are very common.  The others I am not sure about.

qzez4m.png

Edited by pcpunk, 14 August 2015 - 07:07 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

- I would recommend to simply install them all. Those "Update for Windows" add new features.

- Is Windows Update only recommending 9 "optional updates" ?

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

Willy22, I think you are correct, thanks.

Yes, only those 9

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

I never install "optional updates" on any version of Windows...unless it something specific.  Included in those optional updates will be drivers and I suggest that no one use Windows Update to acquire proper drivers for the system when the original manucturer, the OEM of the system, or the motherboard manufacturer have such.

Louis

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

Thanks hamlius, that is the philosophy I have always used but thought I would ask.  I installed them, but in the future I will choose carefully...thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,115 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

hamluis, just realized that one of those Optional Updates had something to do with the Windows 10 Upgrade, hmm, good to know.  This was a new install from Recovery Partition so maybe that was part of the issue?  Or maybe, one of those Updates Failed, then got put to Optional, I don't know but it seems weird that it would be Optional.  Wait, maybe it doesn't seem Odd, seems quite normal that it would be labeled as optional.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

I agree with hamluis. I won't install an optional update if I know what it is. I would install any updated drivers though.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#8 Jtiger360

Jtiger360

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:58 AM

I agree with hamluis. I won't install an optional update if I know what it is. I would install any updated drivers though.

2x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users