Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome 32bit or 64bit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

Hey guys, simple question (I think?) Working on my friends pc for a few weeks now.  I installed 64bit chrome on his W7-64bit install thinking/hoping he was going to upgrade his RAM to more than the 2GB he now has.  Now I realize he is not going to upgrade and am wondering if I should go to a 32bit version of chrome to make things a bit faster, or less RAM and CPU hungry.  

He also has a measly single core cpu that is maxed out when ever I open a browser for about 20 sec.  IE actually opens faster than chrome and believe IE is 32bit because it don't say 64bit.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

Chrome uses a lot of memory due to sandboxing (a safety feature). Internet Explorer is also not light. Try Opera, as it is light on memory and cpu.

While the specs of your friend's computer meet the minimum requirements of Windows 7, they do not meet the recommended requirements. If you are using Windows 7 64 bit, then recommended (not minimum) ram should be 4 gb. Is the CPU 2 GHz? If it is less, then it is below recommended CPU clock. While you can run Windows 7 at minimum specs, it will be really slow.

Edited by CKing123, 29 August 2015 - 07:38 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:37 PM

CKing123, Thanks! I think you will be very successful as you seem to communicate very well.

I have since decided to put the 32bit Chome on there as the Opera was actually slower on startup.  And, chrome is just more mainstream...I think - lol.

Here are his specs concerning this, and his exact pc in the link below.  And yes - 64bit

Intel Celeron 900 / 2.2 GHz L2 - 1 MB

The pc says...this is the weakest link: Intel GMA 4500M

http://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-presario-cq62-210us-15-6-c-900-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-2-gb-ram-250-gb-hdd-series/specs/

All is running good now though, just need to get him some more RAM.  This is just a project of mine to learn more, because I enjoy it, sometimes - lol- arrrg!

Even with that slow-ish cpu, more RAM Will help right?  I ask because RAM did not seem to max out but the cpu did.  I assume there is a reason for this, something in the settings that prevent the RAM from maxing out.  

And if so, will 3GB be okay?  He is very tight on money, and, I am running one Windows 7 machine with 3GB and it seems to run faster than his.  I understand that it's better to run them in even pairs(from what I read) but this is the way my machine came factory.   Assuming this, it is much cheaper to get one 2GB Chip for him, you see.  From what I remember it cost more than double for two 2gb chips for some reason? from what I remember that is - LOL. 

Thanks pcpunk!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:34 PM

While I recommend 4 gigabytes, 3 gigabytes is still good enough for now. To test it,

open resource resource monitor by going to start, and searching resource monitor, and let your friend visit the websites that they usually visit.

If resource monitor shows memory is near 100%, then you need more.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users