Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with drivers.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thibauld

thibauld

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi, 

Recently I got a new PC with windows 7 and these specs: 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WWxRXL

I installed the latest drivers that were needed afaik, yet there are a few programs I want to run that crash as soon as I start them. Most give some sort of fatal unknown error

I think it is a driver issue. Is there any way to know what the issue is exactly? 

Thanks in advance, 

Thibauld

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

Are they older ones that may need to be run in compatibility mode?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

One of the programs I'm trying to run that keeps crashing is the unity engine editor. As soon as I start it up it crashes. I've tried running several of these programs in compatibility mode already though, and nothing seemed to work. 

On a side not, while installing some drivers I found were missing anyways, I think I messed up something, or I'm just missing something.

Anyways, after installing the USB 3.0 drivers from the download page of my motherboard manufacturer (see link below), I went on to the missing smart connect driver.

I don't know which one is causes the problem, but right after rebooting both my USB mouse and keyboard stopped working. They still work in the bios, just not in windows.

Any idea how to get my PC to respond again? Is there any way to control the pc with a nearby laptop maybe? I realize that maybe I could use an old PS/2 keyboard but I don't have one and I'm not free to get one today. Any idea's?

Link: 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20H97%20Killer/?cat=Download&os=Win764

Edited by thibauld, 15 August 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:57 AM

Try repeatedly tapping F8 during start up, hopefully the key board will respond and allow you into safe mode.  The key board may work in safe mode as it by passes many drivers, you may be able to git into control panel to see what is going on.  Any yellow marked items need to be addressed.  USB is wonderful until it screws up, now most boards do not have PS2 connection I recently threw out my last PS2 board. 

Last ditch you may have to do a recovery or have to get into the bios during boot to change boot order, allowing yo to reload the system that would dump programs and files like I said last ditch.

Wait for some of the smarter folks to chine in.

#5 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

I tried safe mode but I still don't get any input from either mouse or keyboard. I went into bios and disabled the function of the last driver I installed (the Smart Connect driver). Still nothing. 

Also now tried the USB compatibiliy option which it says could solve some (compatibility) issues with usb deviced, didnt work either.

Edited by thibauld, 15 August 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

I believe this is a tower not a note book.  If I am right disconnect power pull the side cover ground yourself to the chassis then take the battery out " looks like a quarter" leave it out for several minute let everything bleed down.  Again ground your self then put the battery back in, that will set the bios back to default hit the button see what happens!

Edited by OldPhil, 15 August 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#7 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:22 AM

Yeah I've already cleared CMOS once before, a few hours ago, when I (stupidly) disabled legacy support for USB devices. That change made my keyboard and mouse not work in bios/UEFI too, so I had to clear CMOS.... So nope, that didn't work either :/

And yeah, It's a tower. There is a list of components in my PC at the top* of my first post in this thread.

Edited by thibauld, 15 August 2015 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users