Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Employees Said Kaspersky Faked Malware To Harm Rivals

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

SOURCE: Exclusive: Russian antivirus firm faked malware to harm rivals - Ex-employees

QUOTE a bit: Beginning more than a decade ago, one of the largest security companies in the world, Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab, tried to damage rivals in the marketplace by tricking their antivirus software programs into classifying benign files as malicious, according to two former employees.

They said the secret campaign targeted Microsoft Corp , AVG Technologies NV , Avast Software and other rivals, fooling some of them into deleting or disabling important files on their customers' PCs.

Some of the attacks were ordered by Kaspersky Lab's co-founder, Eugene Kaspersky, in part to retaliate against smaller rivals that he felt were aping his software instead of developing their own technology, they said.

arc289.jpg

EDIT:...to be fair...

"Our company has never conducted any secret campaign to trick competitors into generating false positives to damage their market standing," Kaspersky said in a statement to Reuters. "Such actions are unethical, dishonest and their legality is at least questionable."

Edited by buddy215, 14 August 2015 - 05:23 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

Nowadays it seems like it's all for making more moneys IMO... And it really wastes peoples time while Kaspersky is faking viruses.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

Related discussion in this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

Kaspersky's reply to these groundless accusations.

https://usa.kaspersky.com/about-us/press-center/press-releases/kaspersky-lab-statement-reuters-article-posted-august-14-2015

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

Kaspersky... Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear they're a bunch of fools.

#6 CharlesT

CharlesT

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

I used Kaspersky Internet Security for years . I don't think the actually proved they did anything about putting out fake viruses.The story states they dont know who did .

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:23 AM

Who? The ex-employees? Yes, I agree.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

exactually

#9 Bluediamond

Bluediamond

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

I have not seen anything better for the money out there. In my testing LABS i run code against some of the top competitors and 8/10 KAV picks it up.  

So much so that i now have it running on all my personals.

So it would not surprise me if ex-Employees with grudges decided to have pity parties.

Edited by Bluediamond, 15 August 2015 - 12:33 PM.

#10 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

Who? The ex-employees? Yes, I agree.

Could be disgruntled employees for some reason or another.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:29 PM

Could be disgruntled employees for some reason or another.

Exactly. Until there is factual evidence, IMO all this is sour grapes.

#12 Article_86

Article_86

• Banned
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

I have worked with people from Symantec, and I've been told most of the people that make security products were/are hackers.  That makes sense because they have the skills to block the kind of stuff that have created.  In fact, I was told of instances where new viruses/malware/etc. are actually released by these people just so that they can be a 'hero' at work.  Superhero by day, and hacker by night.  Now that's job security!

- Art

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

Article, this is just another "myth" that exists around the Internet, one of which you shouldn't believe. Trust me, Antivirus companies don't need to create malware and distribute them around to justify the usage of their products, there's already enough of them in the wild to keep them busy for years, centuries to come.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

Hackers and malware writers come from different age groups, backgrounds, countries, education and skill levels...with varying motivations and intents. Most malware writers and cycber-criminals today treat it as a business venture for financial gain while "script kiddies" typically do it for the thrill and boosting a reputation as being a hacker among their peers. Below are a few articles which attempt to explain who these individuals are and why they do what they do.

#15 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:28 PM

They just hack just for fun. All hackers want to do is make their own money and in the end they get caught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users