Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformat hard drive win 7 home 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 inowdongab

inowdongab

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:47 PM

I need to reformat my HD because of relentless slowdowns and slow loadind of programs I think I have a virus or something. I scan with superantispyware, CCcleaner, malewarebytes, spywareblaster, and spybot search and destroy.   I have  Kasperski AV 3.0 pure.They show nothing! I am looking for help as to what I need to save before I format the drive. I have the discs and also the backup on the hard drive.

Please help if you can.                                          Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

Two thoughts!  Clean reload with system disks which will format the drive as you load, or if you have a recovery partition it will put the computer back to its original state when you bought it.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 inowdongab

inowdongab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:36 PM

Two thoughts but what is the best choice. Will both of them clean all the crap off of the HD? Is one faster or easier than the other?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:10 AM

Using the recovery partition is quicker, but both ways you will still need to get all the updates that is what takes the time.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

Or if you don't have a recovery partition you can use your installation CD for Windows if you have one.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

I'm a fan of a clean install... it solves soooo many problems.  plus you don't say if your system came with bloatware and all that.  the windows disks don't carry the bloatware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users