Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformat hard drive win 7 home 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 inowdongab

inowdongab

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:47 PM

I need to reformat my HD because of relentless slowdowns and slow loadind of programs I think I have a virus or something. I scan with superantispyware, CCcleaner, malewarebytes, spywareblaster, and spybot search and destroy.   I have  Kasperski AV 3.0 pure.They show nothing! I am looking for help as to what I need to save before I format the drive. I have the discs and also the backup on the hard drive.

Please help if you can.                                          Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

Two thoughts!  Clean reload with system disks which will format the drive as you load, or if you have a recovery partition it will put the computer back to its original state when you bought it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 inowdongab

inowdongab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:36 PM

Two thoughts but what is the best choice. Will both of them clean all the crap off of the HD? Is one faster or easier than the other?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:10 AM

Using the recovery partition is quicker, but both ways you will still need to get all the updates that is what takes the time.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

Or if you don't have a recovery partition you can use your installation CD for Windows if you have one.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

I'm a fan of a clean install... it solves soooo many problems.  plus you don't say if your system came with bloatware and all that.  the windows disks don't carry the bloatware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users