Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Sector repaired?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

Greetings: Re: Windows 7 O/S.  Hard Drive

I September of 2014,  I used the MiniTool Box to scan my computer and at the end of the scan, there was an "EXTENDED TEST" which was of the hard drive. The result included Test Result: FAIL  and the Test Error Code: 08-Unable to repair bad sectors. Since that test, I have been contemplating the replacement of the hard drive. In fact, that particular result has shown up on another test which I cannot recall at this time. On or about the 5th of August 2015, I ordered a new hard drive and in the interim, while waiting for the hard drive to arrive, I did a Chkdsk which came up with no problems. I then resorted to the MiniTool Box again and ran that again but it did not include the EXTENDED TEST  at the end of the scan. Am I to assume that somehow, the hard disk repaired after showing on previous tests that it could not be repaired or am I missing something?

I've received the new hard drive and questioning whether to install it or send it back. Thanks for any help. 

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2015 - 09:48 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

Try "sfc /scannow" mind the space see what it reports.  Go into accessories right click the 'command prompt" run as administrator. 

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:54 PM

Here is what transpired after the entry of; sfc/scannow.    

Beginning System Scan. This process will take some time. 

Beginning Verification Phase of System Scan.

(after about (10) minutes)   Windows Resource Protection did not find any Integrity violations. (followed by)

C:\Windows\system32>

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:15 AM

Refer to Arachibutyrophobia post #5 in this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586410/corrupt-system-files/?hl=%2Bcbs+%2Blog#entry3790659

I will PM him to look it over.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

You are talking apples and oranges...when to talk about chkdsk and any reliable hard drive diagnostic.

Chkdsk...is a file system tool that has absolutely no value outside of Windows.  It is a good tool for overcoming some, not all, problems which take place on a formatted Windows partition.

It is not a hard drive diagnostic.

A hard drive diagnostic is a tool used to assess the functional state of an entire hard drive, not just a partition.  A hard drive diagnostic will basically enable a user to see if the functional status of the hard drive...is worth any future efforts/use.

Bad sectors are NOT "repaired" by either chkdsk or a hard drive diagnostic.

If chkdsk /r command finds files stored on bad sectors...it will attempt to move said files to good sectors on the partition.  It does not repair bad sectors, it marks the sectors as bad and treats them the same way that we all treat somethings...it labels them and tries to void them from future use. 

During the formatting of any partition...chances are that there are bad sectors, considering how many sectors are on a hard drive.  The formatting process skips these bad sectors and does not include them in the partition structure.  Sooo...generally, when a user becomes aware that the partition now contains bad sectors...it's potentially something to worry about because the partition now has problems that it did not start with.  The cause of those problems...may be a failing/troublesome hard drive.

That's when it's prudent to run a hard drive diagnostic, which will cover the functional status of the hard drive.

Louis

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

Doppleganger., Afgter comp

Refer to Arachibutyrophobia post #5 in this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586410/corrupt-system-files/?hl=%2Bcbs+%2Blog#entry3790659

I will PM him to look it over.

Phil

After achieving the desktop item I clicked on it and the result was a blank page.

#7 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Thank you Louis.

Can I do that diagnostic with my computer or is it an outside operation which would lead to costs.? 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? OEM's like Dell and HP have their own HDD diagnostics available at boot. Drive manufacturers also have their free diagnostic utilities. Do you know the model of your hard drive?

A hard drive can sense a bad sector and if readable automatically relocate it to a good empty sector. The problem is if your HDD constantly develops bad sectors and they cannot be reallocated because the sector is bad enough that it cannot be read from.

Another utility for checking HDDs is GsmartControl. You can do the short and extended tests and post the log here and I can look at it.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

You are talking apples and oranges...when to talk about chkdsk and any reliable hard drive diagnostic.

Chkdsk...is a file system tool that has absolutely no value outside of Windows.  It is a good tool for overcoming some, not all, problems which take place on a formatted Windows partition.

It is not a hard drive diagnostic.

A hard drive diagnostic is a tool used to assess the functional state of an entire hard drive, not just a partition.  A hard drive diagnostic will basically enable a user to see if the functional status of the hard drive...is worth any future efforts/use.

Bad sectors are NOT "repaired" by either chkdsk or a hard drive diagnostic.

Actually some Hard Drive diagnostic programs provided by the HDD manufactures can give the impression of repairing bad sectors by reallocating remapping them, this is possible because in some Hard Drives there are some spare sectors that will be used instead of the bad ones. The number of spare sectors is limited and the reallocation process can lead to data loss because the data written in the bad sectors is in many cases lost.

Scanning an HDD with reallocated sectors will show the drive with all sectors ok only checking the HDD Smart information will show something like this S.M.A.R.T. Attribute: Reallocated Sectors Count and a related attribute Current Pending Sector Count

Edited by SleepyDude, 15 August 2015 - 11:32 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 546. My original paperwork doesn't give the name of the Mfr. of the hard drive but the recent MiniTool box scan of Nov, 2014 indicates it's a  WDC WD5000AAKS-75A7B@. Western Digital?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

Tapping F12 at boot on a Dell should bring up the hardware diagnostic menu. I would run the Dell diagnostics before using the WD software you can download here.

#12 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

Yes, I just finished doing just that and came up with an error 2000-0146, so I guess there is a problem with the hard drive.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

See this Dell thread regarding that code. It could mean a failing drive. See post by Dell Kelvan S.

Error code: 2000-0146 (DST Log contains previous errors) refers to previous errors in the hard drive which might not really be a hardware failure. In order to confirm this, I recommend you to run a custom test on the Hard drive which takes longer time than the Pre-boot System Assessment which you have already performed on the computer but it will give the accurate result.

Once the Pre-boot System Assessment is completed, the computer will give you an option to “Run the remaining memory test”, please select “No”.  Then the computer will launch the 32-bit Diagnostics from the utility partition (if available).

After the diagnostics is launched, in the main menu, please click on “Custom Test”, then select the “Hard drive” and click on “Run Tests”. If the test completes without any error then the hard drive is fine and PC Restore can be performed to restore the computer back to the factory condition (which will result in data loss).

Please refer to the following article for more information on running the Dell 32-bit Diagnostics Utility: http://dell.to/MNJv4B

#14 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

JohC_21 Re: your quote and where it says; Then the computer will launch the 32-bit Diagnotics...............etc. That didn't happen, basically, I had to restart with no option to tun a specific test on the hard drive.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

If you ran the specific test then I would say the hard drive is failing. Did you back up our personal data?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users