Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 SSD/HDD program installation issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

Hello everyone!

I finally built my very first desktop from scratch and it's running beautifully, so lots of thanks to everyone in the hardware forum for helping me out! :)

The only problem I'm facing, is the SSD and HDD configuration. A lot of programs have trouble launching or running when installed on my HDD, which is incredibly frustrating.

My SSD (C drive) is my boot drive, and will be used to install demanding games on (right now, I have Witcher 3 installed on it, which is running perfectly).

My HDD (E drive) is my secondary drive, where my documents, files, and relatively less demanding (or less played) games are stored. I tried to install several games on this drive, but all have launching issues.

For example:

Minecraft: I installed my old Minecraft, which didn't run until I manually installed a .minecraft folder in Users\Username\Roaming, so it seems it had trouble pathing to the Users folder. 

League of Legends: The downloaded client didn't launch from the Downloads folder (which I had moved to my E drive earlier for storage purpose using 'Properties > Move') , I had to copy it into the desktop (C drive) for it to launch and once the game had installed (on the E drive) it wouldn't launch either. Have not found any way around this yet, so it's currently on my C drive.

The Sims 3: I was expecting trouble with this ancient game anyway, but like both games mentioned before, it simply doesn't launch and tells me 'Sims 3 Launcher has stopped working' upon trying to launch. 

Minecraft Forge (.jar file): Doesn't run, it seems java has a pathing problem here, I installed java to my E drive too. I included the error file I received at the bottom of this post. As with LoL, once Java was installed on my SSD, it ran perfectly fine.

Put simply: it seems all my games/applications I'm attempting to run from my D drive aren't launching properly. Minecraft was fixeable, but non of the other programs have been fixed yet, and I can't seem to find a solution.

When first starting my computer and installing Windows 7, I created a New Simple Volume on my HDD consisting of the entire capacity of the HDD with standard settings and the option that allows for more than 2TB (I'm afraid I forgot what it was called, there were two choices). 

I'm unsure how to proceed, I would like to run these games from my HDD, but it seems I went wrong at some point.

I would be willing to do a clean install of windows again if it would fix my issues!

Any help is appreciated :)

Attachments

Forge java error

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.imageio.IIOException: Can't create cache file!
at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
at net.minecraftforge.installer.InstallerPanel.<init>(InstallerPanel.java:90)
at net.minecraftforge.installer.SimpleInstaller.launchGui(SimpleInstaller.java:153)
at net.minecraftforge.installer.SimpleInstaller.main(SimpleInstaller.java:40)
Caused by: javax.imageio.IIOException: Can't create cache file!
at javax.imageio.ImageIO.createImageInputStream(Unknown Source)
at javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(Unknown Source)
at net.minecraftforge.installer.InstallerPanel.<init>(InstallerPanel.java:86)
... 2 more
Caused by: java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\Rose\AppData\Local\Temp\imageio3329598095060286483.tmp
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.create(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.createTempFile(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.Files.createTempFile(Unknown Source)
at javax.imageio.stream.FileCacheImageInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.imageio.spi.InputStreamImageInputStreamSpi.createInputStreamInstance(Unknown Source)
... 5 more

Edited by MsImAQuickStudy, 14 August 2015 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

I don't game...but I do have mixtures of SSDs and hard drives.

I believe that Windows performs at optimum when Windows and installed programs are on same partition/drive.  All other files can go anywhere, IMO...since they are not the guts of the system installation.

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

This may help:   There is a ton about it on Google.

Edited by OldPhil, 14 August 2015 - 04:22 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users